The video, which has now been removed,showed him making anti-Semitic comments to camera before driving to a synagoguein Halle and shooting into its door. German Chancellor Angela Merkelattended a memorial vigil for the victims at Berlin’s main synagogue.(BBC) The 27-year-old German suspect wasarrested after he “live-streamed” the attack on an online video-game platformaround 12 local time (10:00 GMT) on Wednesday, according to local media. After failing to get in, the gunmanshot dead two people nearby. BERLIN – A gunman has killed twopeople in eastern Germany after attempting to enter a synagogue where dozenswere observing a Jewish holiday. The 27-year-old German suspect was filmed wearing a helmet shooting into a local street on Wednesday. REUTERS
BACOLOS City – President RodrigoDuterte has skipped this year’s 40th MassKara Festival. Earlier, Presidential SpokesmanSalvador Panelo said the Duterte was suffering from “unbearable pain” in hisspine after a motorcycle accident last week and had to cut short his trip toJapan to return to the Philippines Wednesday night. Panelo said Duterte left Japan soonerthan planned, having attended the enthronement ceremony of Emperor Naruhito. Leonardia, however, said:“Effectively, we were still graced by the President for the fourth time,because he sent his official representative,” Leonardia added. “We wish thePresident well and are calling for prayers for his swift recovery.”/PN “How we wish that President Dutertecould come, but we understand that he could not make it under the current circumstance,”according to Mayor Evelio Leonardia. He was scheduled to visit this cityyesterday but was instead represented by Tourism Undersecretary for Legal andSpecial Concerns Edwin Enrile.
BACOLOD City – Around 400 masks fromdifferent countries were unveiled in a mall in this city as the InternationalMask Arts and Culture Organization (IMACO) International Convention openedWednesday. “I have seen hundreds of masks inIMACO’s series of exhibition but the mask of Bacolod is indeed distinctive,”added Leonardia. Mayor Evelio Leonardia, who led theyesterday’s opening, welcomed the delegates and encouraged them to make themost of their stay in the City of Smiles. IMACO has 63 member nations and isbased in Andong City, South Korea. It was established in 2006 to constructarchives of mask-related culture that is integral to cultural communitysymbols. Around 200 delegates have joined theevent which will run until Nov. 8. Someof the international masks on exhibit come from Japan, Africa, Korea, India,Cambodia, Myanmar, Laos, and Bacolod City. Photo courtesy of Bacolod City PIO Through research, preservation anddata accumulation, IMACO aims to develop an understanding of mask culture. Theorganization believes in the value that masks promote in terms of freedom,peace and equality which helps people understand human values./PN
“The festival has empowered Negrensefarmers as active partners of the provincial government in sustaining thestatus as the organic capital of the Philippines,” Genzola added. There were also various competitionslike on-the-spot poster making contest, organic quiz bee, organic productOlympics, and organic cooking contest. BACOLOD City – Around 85 Negrosfarmers and farming associations earned P1.3 million in sales during thefour-day 14th Negros Island Organic Farmers’ Festival (NIOFF) here from Nov. 20to 23. Provincial agriculturist JaphetMasculino on Monday said the festival is now institutionalized in theconsciousness of the Negrenses as a major source of organic products andorganic technology. “Every year, new products aredisplayed which means that more producers are into organic farming and morepeople are visiting and buying organic products,” Masculino added. Various organic products are displayed during the 14th Negros Island Organic Farmers Festival in Bacolod City on Nov. 20 to 23. Around 85 Negros farmers and farming associations have joined in the festivity. ARCHIE ALIPALO/PN She said the annual festival hasserved as a venue for organic farmers to earn and tap more potential markets. The 2019 edition included activitieslike talks and seminars on the health benefits of organic food; pest managementstrategy in growing organic vegetables; biological farming technologies andcontrol of pest on crops; smallholder group orientation on organiccertification; organic inland fish culture; value chain on organic coconutproduction; organic rice production using heirloom varieties; organic mushroomproduction; and demonstration on organic cooking. This year’s festival was themed“Organic is LIFE: Love, Integrity, Fairness and Ecology.”(With a report from PNA/PN) Senior agriculturist Dina Genzola,meanwhile, said while the festival showcased and promoted locally-producedorganic and naturally-grown agricultural products, the event also helpedenhance the capability of the farmers. Negros Occidental currently has over18,000 hectares of agricultural land, including livestock, devoted to organicfarming. There are around 18,000 organic practitioners in the province. The provincial government alsorecognized the outstanding organic practitioners, focal persons, localgovernment units, and stakeholders.
Paulino Almedelia, corporate planningmanager of Noneco, said this month’s lower generation cost amounted to onlyP0.1169/kWh although the transmission and systems loss charges increased by atotal of P0.0218/kWh. Meanwhile, the Negros OccidentalElectric Cooperative (Noceco) also reported a reduction in its January powerrate of P0.5418/ kWh – from last month’s P10.8869 to P10.3451 in the currentbilling. “The decrease in generation is minimalcommensurate to the decrease in the Wholesale Electricity Spot Market price,”Almedelia said. BACOLOD City – Reduction in generationcost has brought down residential power rates in three electric cooperatives inNegros Occidental for January. The Central Negros ElectricCooperative (Ceneco) on Monday announced its rate for the billing month of Januaryhas decreased by P0.0671 per kilowatt-hour (kWh) – from P10.4678 in December toonly P10.4007 in January. He added the minimal decrease was dueto the net fluctuation brought by the decrease in generation cost and anincrease in transmission cost. Power lines of Central Negros Electric Cooperative in Bacolod City. The reduction in generation cost has brought down residential power rates in three electric cooperatives in Negros Occidental this January. PNA BACOLOD FILE PHOTO Noceco general manager Jonas Discayasaid the lower electricity rate this month can be attributed to the P0.3393/kWhreduction in the generation charge – from P5.8864 in December to P5.5471 inJanuary.(With a report from PNA/PN) He added that despite the decrease inthe current month’s billing, consumers should still conserve energy to avoidpaying high electricity bills. Meanwhile, the Northern NegrosOccidental Electric Cooperative (Noneco) reported a drop in its power rate byP0.0391/kWh – from P11.0703 in December to P11.0312 in January. Jose Taniongon, officer-in-charge ofthe Office of the General Manager, said the P0.0671/kWh rate is due to thereduction in generation, transmission and system loss charges.
The family eventually decided to leavethe city, said Fortuna. ILOILO City – Nineteen Koreannationals left this southern city after the religious gathering they weresupposed to attend was cancelled by the city government due to concerns overthe possible spread of the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). The event was the “RUN for Jesus2020”, a Feb. 27 praise and worship open air convention initially set at thefootball pitch of the La Paz district plaza. The five other Koreans left the cityvia the Iloilo Airport in Cabatuan, Iloilo. Fortuna did not say where they wereheaded. There were no flights from Iloilo to any point in South Korea. The Koreans were tracked down to ahotel in Mandurriao district on Wednesday afternoon. Yesterday morning, 14 ofthem left the city for Kalibo, Aklan where they would be boarding a plane backto South Korea. *Wash hands – soap or hand gel can kill the virus “RUN for Jesus 2020” was expected togather between 20,000 to 30,000 participants. It was, however, cancelled by thecity government as part of precautionary measures against COVID-19 after learning that some delegations would becoming from the South Korean city of Daegu, epicenter of the virus outbreak inthat country. *Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth – if hands touch a surface contaminated bythe virus, this could transfer it into the body The COVID-19 infection seems to startwith a fever, followed by a dry cough, according to a British Broadcasting Co.report. *Cover mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing – ideally with a tissue – andwash hands afterwards, to prevent the virus spreading After a week, it leads to shortness ofbreath and some patients require hospital treatment. SouthKorea has the largest number of confirmed cases outside China (over 1,200infections and 12 dead as of Feb. 26). The biggest virus clusters have beenlinked to a hospital and a religious group near the south-eastern city of Daegu./PN TheWHO suggests the following to avoid contracting COVID-19 or spreading it: Fortuna said family members were toldto self-quarantine “and they understood man.” According to Fortuna, a team from theCity Health Office and Bureau of Immigration checked the Koreans on Wednesdayafternoon and found them to be in good health. But some researchers say it may be aslong as 24 days. And Chinese scientists say some people may be infectious evenbefore their symptoms appear. “Waaynadayun ang event so nag-decide na lang sila ngamapuli,” said Dr. Ronald Jay Fortuna, city government’s focal person onCOVID-19. *Don’t get too close to people coughing, sneezing or with a fever – they canpropel small droplets containing the virus into the air – ideally, keep onemeter (three feet) away The incubation period – betweeninfection and showing any symptoms – lasts up to 14 days, according to theWorld Health Organization (WHO). Aside from the 19 “RUN for Jesus 2020”South Koran delegates, the City Health Office was also able to track down a12-member South Korean family who arrived here on Wednesday as tourists. The jump in the number of casesoutside China – where COVID-19 originated – raised fears the virus outbreakcould become a pandemic (when an infectious disease spreads easily from personto person in many parts of the world). Fortuna said the 19 Koreans show nosymptoms of COVID-19.
Antique’s PhilHealth head Junie Sabusap. PNA Both turned out negative for COVID-19 basedon the result of their nasopharyngeal and oropharyngeal swabs that were sent tothe Research Institute for Tropical Medicine. “There is a new PhilHealth Circular No.2020-0004 effective Jan. 30, 2020 that provides a new benefits package of P14,000for the PUI,” he said. They have been discharged from thehospital upon completion of the 14 days hospital quarantine. (PNA) Of the P14,000 benefit package, 30percent will go to the professional fee of the attending doctor and 70 percentfor the laboratory examination, medical supplies and room of the admitted PUI. Two seafarers from Antique who weredeclared as PUIs were admitted at the Angel Salazar Memorial General Hospital(ASMGH). The two had a travel history in places where there are positive casesof coronavirus and they manifested flu-like symptom. The first PUI from Hamtic town had atravel history to China where he stayed overnight in a hotel before coming hometo Antique while the second PUI was from Hong Kong. Sabusap said the benefits packageapplies to hospitals identified by the Department of Health that can provideappropriate quarantine to the PUI. Antique’s PhilHealth head Junie Sabusap saidin an interview Wednesday that the new health insurance package for the PUIswas crafted after the World Health Organization declared the coronavirusdisease as a public health emergency. “The benefits package could be claimedby the PUIs whether their laboratory examination results turned out to bepositive or negative,” he said. SAN JOSE DE BUENAVISTA,Antique – Two Antiqueños, who are patients under investigation (PUIs), arecovered by the Philippine Health Insurance Corporation (PhilHealth) which cameup with a new health insurance package.
In a ruling dated Feb. 20, 2020 Judge EmeraldRequina-Contreras of the Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 23 ordered the courtsheriff “to place MORE Power in possession” of PECO’s identified powerdistribution properties for expropriation and “submit a report thereof to thecourt, with service of copies to the parties pursuant to Section 2 of Rule 67of the Rules of Court.” * Bolilao, Mandurriao substation (land,buildings, and machinery) The PECO power distribution assets that thecourt identified for MORE Power’s takeover were the following: * Baldoza-La Paz substation (land includingall machineries and improvements, buildings) * Tabuc Suba, Jaro substation (land,machinery) “The primary goal of the court is a smooth andpeaceful transition of operation, to protect the public interest of the peopleof Iloilo City and its businesses, and to ensure the uninterrupted supply ofelectricity,” stressed the court. It was on Jan. 2 when thecase was re-raffled to Gaspar’s sala after RTC Branch 35’s Judge Daniel AntonioGerardo Amular inhibited, too. * Avanceña Street, Molo substation (land, andbuildings, machinery) All of these have a total assessed value ofP217,940, 870. Also to be taken over by MORE Power arePECO assets listed under the distribution plant in the Energy Regulation Commissionrecord. These include meter lab, power plant building, switchboard house withtotal assessed value of P14,792, 680. The expropriation case dragged due to PECO’s legal challenge andhopped from one court to another. Requina-Contreras was the fifth judge tohandle it. It was re-raffled to her court after retiring Judge Gloria Madero of RTC Branch 29 who was supposedto handle the case – the fourth judge, in fact – deemed it proper to letanother RTC branch tackle the case. PECO had been Iloilo City’s monopoly power distributor for over 95years. MORE Power also petitioned the court to determine the reasonablevalue of PECO’s power distribution system assets for just compensation, thenorder the transfer of the ownership of these upon payment of a justcompensation. * General Luna substation (machinery) Also to be taken over by MORE Power arepersonal properties directly used in the electric distribution services inIloilo City such as consumers’ electric meters, poles, transformers,transmission and distribution equipment composed of primary and secondary lineson the streets of Iloilo City, and service vehicles and equipment used directlyin the distribution, maintenance and trouble-shooting activities. PECO’s franchise expired on Jan. 19, 2019. Itfailed to secure an extension or a new one from Congress which cited the manycomplaints from consumers over, among others, erroneous billing, poor customerservice and high rates. By MORE Power’s own estimate, PECO’s power distribution system isvalued at P481,842,450. The expropriation of PECO’s assets in its favor, according to MOREPower, would allow it to “immediately address and correct poor services,overcharging, frequent brownouts, expensive rates, old and unsafe facilitiesand practices, and other service deficiencies that this city’s power users andconsumers had long suffered.” In March 2019 MORE Power asked RTC Iloilo City Branch 37 to issuea writ of possession authorizing it to take immediate control, operation, use,and disposition of PECO’s power distribution system assets. The other judge whopreviously heard the case Judge Yvette Go of RTC Branch 37./PN ILOILO City – MORE Electric and Power Corp.(MORE Power) is set to take over the power distribution assets of PanayElectric Co. (PECO) more than a year after securing a franchise from thegovernment to be this city’s power distributor. In seeking the expropriation of PECO’s assets, MORE Power citedSection 10 of RA 11212 and Rule 67 Section 2 of the Revised Rules of Court authorizingit to take possession of, exercise control over, and manage and operate all ofthe power distribution assets in Iloilo City. It was on Jan. 27 when the case wasre-raffled to RTC Branch 29 of Madero after Judge Ma. Theresa Gaspar of RTCBranch 33 decided to inhibit citing her close ties to PECO owners. On Feb. 14, 2019 President Rodrigo Dutertesigned into law MORE Power’s franchise, Republic Act (RA) 11212.
He added that Ordidor has “committed todelete all her uploaded videos against the President and promised not to do itagain and has promised to issue a public apology.” MANILA – The Department of Labor andEmployment (DOLE) is working for the deportation of a Filipina caregiver inTaiwan after the woman posted online “nasty and malevolent materials intendedto cause hatred” against President Rodrigo Duterte. It is “too early” to predict job losses for OFWs, with the virus confirmed in at least 60 countries, says Overseas Workers Welfare Administration chief Hans Leo Cacdac. ABS-CBN DOLE said in a statement over theweekend that Elanel Ordidor, a caregiver in Yunlin County, will be charged withcyberlibel upon her return to the country. Her employer was already notifiedabout the deportation. He also said that the DOLE found outthat Ordidor was using several social media accounts “and has a grouporganized to discredit and malign the President and destabilize thegovernment.” DOLE said the sharing and posting ofsuch videos are punishable under Republic Act No. 10175, the cyber libel law./PN Labor Attaché Fidel Macauyag, for hispart, said that labor officials have went to Ordidor’s workplace in YunlinCounty last week to tell her of the charges she might face for her posts. “However, hours after the visit, severalposts were seen on the Philippine Overseas Labor Office Taichung Facebook pagefrom several fake accounts (supporting her) cause,” Macauyag said. “She will be deported for her willfulposting of nasty and malevolent materials against President Duterte on Facebookintended to cause hatred amidst the global health crisis brought about by theCOVID-19 pandemic,” the DOLE said.
Currently, policemen are also assigned to man the border control checkpoints in the boundaries of Negros Occidental as part of continuing community quarantine measures in the province. As a precaution, however, Palgue said the police officer was told to temporarily go on leave and has not been assigned to NOCPPO’s headquarters in Barangay Estefania ever since. “They are manning the checkpoints 24/7. They will remain there until further instructions,” Palgue said. Palgue said he was quarantined at the Provincial Healing Center in E.B. Magalona town while he was being treated. He returned home after being free of the infection, Palgue added. BY DOMINIQUE GABRIEL BAÑAGA BACOLOD City – A personnel of the Negros Occidental Police Provincial Office (NOCPPO) diagnosed with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID -19) recovered from the viral illness. According to Palgue, the NOCCPO personnel was among those who assisted returning Negrenses billeted in a hotel in this city. He also stressed that NOCPPO will apprehend Negrenses defying health protocols to contain the spread of COVID-19, like the use of face mask and safe physical distancing./PN The asymptomatic policeman was a member of the 1st Negros Occidental Provincial Mobile Force Company, Colonel Romy Palgue, NOCPPO officer-in-charge, confirmed Tuesday. Palgue reminded the local police force to be extra cautious. He cited data from the Department of Health showing majority of COVID-19 cases in the province were asymptomatic. The cop’s colleagues were also subjected to reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction test. All of them yielded negative results.