High Wine, toothpaste thief fined

first_imgA man who strolled into the Bounty Supermarket and stole two tubes of Colgate toothpaste, along with a bottle of High Wine, was placed before the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts for the offence.Victor Joseph, 52, of Berbice, told Magistrate Fabayo Azore that on January 27, 2018, he entered the Supermarket and stole the items, because he needed them and had no cash to pay.The court heard that when confronted by a staff member at the Supermarket, Joseph reportedly lied and said that he had already paid for the items at the cashier. As such, he was fined $2000 and warned by Magistrate Azore that he could not steal simply because he did not have money.last_img

Local figure skater South Korea bound

first_imgJakubowski was delivered the exciting news today, as team representatives informed her that she had been selected for the training squad.Although she still has to prove she can compete at this level, the Fort St. John figure skater is confident she’ll be booking her ticket to South Korea.The games will be taking place from Jan.24 until Feb.6, 2013.- Advertisement –last_img

LG Signs Sh6mn Sponsorship Deal with SJAK

first_img0Shares0000SJAK president Chris Mbaisi with LG Marketing manager Moses Marji during the signing of the agreement in Nairobi. Photo/Raymond MakhayaNAIROBI, Kenya, Feb 13 – Electronics manufacturer LG has today renewed its partnership with the Sports Journalists Association of Kenya (SJAK) after signing an improved deal worth Sh6 mn that will focus on rewarding outstanding footballers in the Kenyan Premier League.In the enriched 1-year deal, LG Electronics will support the association’s activities with a key focus on the SJAK player of the month winners that will each get a 49” television set. In addition, LG will provide an improved awards package for the SJAK annual gala awards where the first, second, and third place winners in all categories at the gala will walk away with an LG-branded 49” TV, refrigerator and microwave respectively.Speaking during the announcement, LG Electronics General Manager Marketing Moses Marji said that the company appreciates the role football plays in Kenya’s social and economic fabric and will continue motivating Kenyan footballers to reach greater heights in their careers.“Since our maiden partnership with SJAK in 2015, we have seen our partnership boost players’ morale and maintaining interest in football across the country. We are determined to make football appealing to current and budding players in Kenya as it continues being an essential vehicle for socio-economic transformation”, said Marji.LG will also provide funding support for three Corporate Social Responsibility activities that the association will undertake in 2018 such as off-season community tournaments among others.This is the 4th year that LG is signing a sponsorship deal with SJAK.SJAK president Chris Mbaisi said: “The monthly awards have increased competition in our local league as every player is doing their best to win the gong. That translates to quality football and we are thrilled that LG have reaffirmed their commitment towards this noble idea”.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

PSG drop Mbappe for title decider at Nantes

first_img0Shares0000PSG coach Thomas Tuchel reportedly decided to drop Kylian Mbappe (pictured April 14, 2019) after hearing the young gun slated his side for “lacking personality” © AFP/File / FRANCOIS LO PRESTINANTES, France, Apr 17 – Kylian Mbappe has been dropped by Paris Saint-Germain coach Thomas Tuchel for the Ligue 1 leaders’ title decider at Nantes on Wednesday following the star striker’s scathing comments at the weekend.PSG need to win to seal the championship after passing up a second chance to round up the title in spectacular style on Sunday, when they were hammered 5-1 at second-placed Lille in their worst defeat in a decade. Mbappe slated his side for “lacking personality” in the aftermath, an assessment that didn’t go down well with Tuchel, who reportedly decided to drop the young gun after hearing his withering evaluation of his teammates.“It is too easy to say that (we lacked personality),” said Tuchel, who pointed to PSG’s enormous list of absences as the reason behind a drop off in form.The reigning champions are missing eight players between injuries and suspensions, with Neymar and Edinson Cavani out for months and other key players like Marquinhos, Thiago Silva, Marco Verratti and Angel Di Maria all unavailable.However, despite the skeleton crew on show in Nantes, PSG are odds on to win their sixth league title in seven years, as they have a 17-point lead over Lille.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)last_img read more

Arsenal and PSG leading race to sign in-demand Alexandre Lacazette

first_imgArsenal and Paris Saint-Germain are leading the race for Lyon striker Alexandre Lacazette.The Frenchman has bagged 75 goals in the past three seasons and clubs are now ready to snap him up.Tottenham and West Ham have already expressed an interest in the 25-year-old this summer, but no deal has been struck.And, according to L’Equipe, that is because Arsenal and PSG are leading the chase for Lacazette.The striker is ready to quit Lyon this summer – but he is reluctant to join a club which doesn’t match his ambitions.That has poured cold water on the chances of Lacazette moving to Tottenham or West Ham and instead he will reportedly wait for offers from Arsenal and PSG. 25-year-old Frenchman has scored 75 goals over the last three seasons 1last_img

DONEGAL BENCH-PRESSER IS READY TO GET A WEIGHT OF HIS MIND – AND SHOULDERS!

first_imgIt’s going to be a lonely road but Donegal bench-presser Mick Coleman is ready to do it for his country.Mick, 36, from Stranorlar is heading to Estonia to represent the country in the World Benchpressing Championships on September 17th next. Mick, a married father of two, has spent the last number of months preparing for the event at the Energie Gym in Letterkenny.Mick dispels the myth that all weightlifters are all brawn and no brain and comes across as a friendly, thoughtful and decent guy.He revealed that he will travel to the championships alone but says he will be able to concentrate as a result.“I’m really looking forward to it. The number of days to the event are getting shorter and things are getting serious. “I am travelling alone and I have had to get sponsorship myself but that’s all been part of the build-up.“I feel like I am ready and I just want to get there,” he said.Mick is hoping to bench-press a whopping 155kgms in “the raw” which means he does not use a specialist bench shirt which gives him more power.Mick is very thankful to his sponsors National Irish Bank, Energie Gym and Irontech who sponsored his bench shirt.Mick says he is hopeful for a top five finish at his 100kg weight-level.“That’s the aim but as this stage I don’t know how many are competing. “Top five would be great but who knows?” said Mick hopefully.EndsDONEGAL BENCH-PRESSER IS READY TO GET A WEIGHT OF HIS MIND – AND SHOULDERS! was last modified: September 2nd, 2011 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:bench pressmick colemanlast_img read more

WHERE DID IT ALL GO ‘CONG’ FOR OUR DANIEL?

first_imgDaniel and Kristina.Daniel O’Donnell is to be immortalised in bronze in a Co Mayo village.The singer is to be honoured in the well-known village of Cong where a cast of his hands are to be placed on a wall.The ceremony, which will take place next summer, will see the 53 year old given the Freedom of Cong accolade. He’ll be the third person to receive the award.Both Ryan Tubridy and former Rose of Tralee Maria Walsh have also been honoured.WHERE DID IT ALL GO ‘CONG’ FOR OUR DANIEL? was last modified: October 16th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

FORMER SOLDIER AVOIDS JAIL AFTER SEX ATTACK AT DUBLIN AIRPORT

first_imgA Donegal-based former Russian Special Forces soldier who said he was suffering flashbacks when he wrestled a teenage girl to the ground and sexually assaulted her at Dublin Airport has avoided jail.Liudas VaisvilasThe 51-year-old Lithuanian man told gardaí he was having flashbacks to his time with the Russian military in Siberia and believed he was protecting his girlfriend from falling bombs. Liudas Vaisvilas, of Glenveagh Court, Letterkenny, pleaded guilty at Dublin Circuit Criminal Court to sexual assault at Terminal 2 in Dublin Airport on April 10th, 2014.Hours after he was released from Garda custody following the incident, Vaisvilas was arrested for sexually assaulting a young girl in a similar way at Eddie Rocket’s Diner on O’Connell Street.Judge Patrick McCartan had previously remanded Vaisvilas in custody for a full psychiatric assessment after he said he was concerned he may offend again.The psychiatric assessment concluded that Vaisvilas was in a temporary state of mind resulting from a combination of extreme tiredness and recent bereavements.The judge suspended a sentence of three years on condition he keeps the peace for that time and obeys any instructions of the Probation Services. Vaisvilas has been in custody since the offence because he was unable to pay the €1,500 required under his High Court bail.The Irish Times reports that Judge McCartan noted that he is at a low risk of reoffending and is remorseful.He said it must have been a huge shock for the victim to be set on by this huge man and thrown to the ground and groped over her clothes.Garda Tanya Shinkins told Noel Carroll BL, defending, that the 19-year-old victim was sitting in the airport waiting for a flight at about 10.30pm when Vaisvilas walked right up and put his face very close to her.He asked her repeatedly if she had the internet and then sat down beside her and grabbed her between her legs.The girl was in shock and started screaming for help but a man sitting near her seemed also too shocked to help. The girl went running towards two airport officials for help but Vaisvilas rugby-tackled her to the ground.He had one hand between her legs and the other on her bottom and the girl said she felt helpless and couldn’t breathe as he was so strong.Airport authorities and members of the public managed to get Vaisvilas off the girl and he was arrested shortly after midnight.Vaisvilas said he was shocked when shown CCTV footage of the incident and wanted to apologise and explain to the girl that he had been “crazy” and “confused in his mind”.Dominic McGinn SC, defending, said his client’s mother and another relative had died recently, and he had missed a flight home to Lithuania for a funeral.He had not slept for the previous five or six days, had drunk some vodka, and was having flashbacks to when he worked in the Russian army, counsel said.Vaisvilas was previously sentenced to a six-month suspended sentence for the second sexual assault in Eddie RocketsVaisvilas has lived in Ireland for nine years and worked at a meat-packing plant in Letterkenny.FORMER SOLDIER AVOIDS JAIL AFTER SEX ATTACK AT DUBLIN AIRPORT was last modified: March 7th, 2015 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)last_img read more

GAA: SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP – LATEST

first_imgFISTS flying in the match between St Eunan’s and Kilcar – with Rory Kavanagh sent off for a second yellow card offence.The Letterkenny team led by three at half time- -0-06 to 0-03 in Convoy.But two quick goals from Kilcar, the second a penalty from Paddy McBrearty, put them into the lead. Eunan’s came back again through sub David McGinley – latest score Kilcar 2-03, St Eunan’s 1-07.Four Masters are four ahead against Ardara – 0-09 to 0-05.   GAA: SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP – LATEST was last modified: October 12th, 2012 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:GAA: SENIOR CHAMPIONSHIP – HALF TIME SCORESlast_img read more

DONEGAL CRIME WAVE: POLITICIAN WANTS BORDER COUNTY SUPPORT OVER GARDA CUTS SCANDAL

first_imgAlan Shatter: Hasn’t got a clue, says McGowanA DONEGAL politician is taking the case for more Gardai in the county to the other Border counties – accusing Justice Minister Alan Shatter of completely ignoring the crime wave gripping the county.Cllr Patrick Mc Gowan claimed that following several failed attempts from the Donegal Joint Policing Committee to impress on Minister Shatter and the Gardai Commissioner the importance of Donegal being considered as a special case because of location he has been backed by other representatives in Border counties in the State.“I have now received support through the members of the Border Regional Authority to write to all Border Counties Joint Policing Committees and Local Authorities seeking agreement to lobby together for special consideration for policing in borders areas,” he said. “JPCs and Local Authorities in Cavan, Monaghan, Louth, Sligo and Leitrim will be contacted over the coming weeks in a effort to bring further pressure on the Minister and Senior Gardai Management.“In Donegal we are cut off from the rest of country by the North on one side and the sea on another side.“There is no possibility of getting back up from another Gardai Division in a neighboring County in case of an emergency,while at the same time the border presents criminals with an easy escape route.“I am and have been frustrated at the lack of support for the Donegal JPC since it began and I have no doubt that the ongoing cuts to Gardai numbers will be concentrated on rural areas first, leaving them wide open for all sorts of criminally.” Cllr McGowan said: “There is a continuing feeling of isolation among rural communities living in fear.“Recent reports coming from Rank and file Gardaí that Garda HQ do not understand that they can’t patrol a Frontier Border region such as Donegal without sufficient recourses should be taken on board by all the Oireachtas members representing the County.“I am afraid that Donegal is not being heard in Dublin and its perhaps time to replace those who jobs it is to represent us in the Capital.”He said Minister Shatter’s “attack” on Garda stations and Gardai resources has been “going on since he took up office and we are hearing that Gardai numbers will be cut further due to unprecedented retirements at a time when the force is under pressure and stretched beyond capacity.”He added: “It will take at least two years to train new Gardai from whatever time the Gardai training will commence . We are losing all the policing knowledge and experiences learned over the last few decades and when new recruits are ready to take the beat they will be with any experience or local knowledge.” DONEGAL CRIME WAVE: POLITICIAN WANTS BORDER COUNTY SUPPORT OVER GARDA CUTS SCANDAL was last modified: December 12th, 2013 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Alan ShatterBorder policingcluelessdonegaldumbGarda resourcesuselesslast_img read more