August 3, 2019 Posted: August 3, 2019 KUSI Newsroom ENCINITAS (KUSI) – Two of the three victims in Friday’s deadly cliff collapse in the Leucadia neighborhood of Encinitas were identified today as a mother and daughter.The women were identified as Julie Davis, 65, and Anne Clave, 35, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office. The identity of the third victim, who died at the scene, has not been released pending notification of relatives.Clave, from Encinitas, died at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla on Friday. Davis died at Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas, also on Friday.The bluff failure happened shortly before 3 p.m. Friday just north of a lifeguard station, Encinitas fire and lifeguard officials said at a news conference Saturday morning.Officials reopened Grandview Surf Beach before noon Saturday with signs posted to the north and south of the cliff collapse asking the public to keep out of the “active area,” Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles said.City officials recommended that “given the apparent natural bluff instability, beachgoers should avoid areas near or under the bluffs and keep a recommended safe distance of 25 to 40 feet.”Four search dogs went through the site of the collapse late Friday and officials determined that no more people had been found, Encinitas Fire Deputy Chief Robert Ford said.Two people walked away uninjured after the collapse, Giles said.A lifeguard was in the tower next to the site of the cliff collapse and immediately began to rescue victims. Some good Samaritans helped the lifeguard in the rescue effort, Giles said. The lifeguard tower has since been moved away from the part of the cliff that collapsed.Experts in geology will continue assessing the coastline for any potential collapse threats. Geotech soil engineers said Friday’s failure was an isolated incident, Giles said, and unrelated to the recent earthquakes in Southern California. The failure isn’t affecting structures at the top of the cliffs, he said.“Our coastline is a beautiful area, but the coastline is eroding,” Giles said. Two of three victims of deadly Encinitas cliff collapse identified KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter
WILMINGTON, MA — Wilmington Apple recently caught up with Wilmington Police Chief Joe Desmond, who was appointed to the position on Monday, July 15. Question #1: You grew up in Wilmington. You’ve been on the force for more than 30 years. Can you describe what it’s like to now be Chief?Chief: “It’s been quite a journey. I started July 2 of 1988. It doesn’t seem so long ago as things do move quickly. I never envisioned myself becoming chief. I was never one of those people who had an ambition to be the leader of the department. I always wanted to be involved and extend my responsibilities as best I could, but I never saw myself here. It’s an honor and I’m looking forward to it.”Question #2: You told the Town Crier: “We’ve always had a department that has had a very good reputation in the community and that’s responsive to the community’s needs.” How do you plan on continuing to maintain this reputation and responsiveness? Will the public see any noticeable changes now with you at the helm?Chief: “Being responsive to the community’s needs is one of the most important things that we can do. I try to stress to [my staff] that our reputation doesn’t happen by accident. You get a good reputation by being responsive to the community’s needs and being professional. My goal is to keep that going and improve on it in any area that we can.”“I don’t think you’ll see any major changes right away. The best, longest lasting change you can make is change that happens slowly. Our biggest priority right now is staffing issues with Deputy Chief Richter going to Kittery and the Chief Begonis going to the private sector. We had two retirements last year and two more coming up, so the amount of time it takes to hire people, train them at the academy and get them road trained and ready to go is a big turnaround. One of my biggest issues will be getting up to staffing levels. Once you get there, you can begin to broaden out a bit.”Question #3: What are your thoughts on the new Police Explorers Program your department is starting? Chief: “One of the ways we always look to improve is outreach to the community. We’re a reactive profession in a way. We wait until someone calls us and then come and try to solve their problem. We’re looking for ways to be proactive. We think the Explorers program is a nice way of doing that. Officers Dan Furbush and Mike Cabral are spearheading this. We hope to be starting in October. We’ve got some good early feedback. They’re looking for 20 participants. We’re looking forward to it. It’s a way of making the younger generation have a positive response to this profession. For some reason, we’re not getting the type and number of recruits we used to get. Not as many people are taking the civil service test. For whatever reason, this job doesn’t have the appeal that it used to have. A program like this can be almost like a farm system, where we instill that this is a good profession. We hope some of these kids who participate will grow up and someday join our ranks.”Question #4: Your department is holding its National Night Out event at Rotary Park this coming Tuesday, August 6. What are your thoughts on the event and what are you trying to accomplish with it? Chief: “I agree with [former Chief Begonis] that National Night Out is one of the best nights of the year for the department and I want to carry on what he did with it. Because of the Cummings Foundation’s generosity, we were able to hold the event, although most of what you see is volunteers. All the agencies are doing this on their own free time. Red Heat Tavern donates all the food. The evening provides a relaxed atmosphere where citizens can come out and meet people in law enforcement in a nice setting, not a stressful setting or in positions of authority. There’s also an educational aspect to it too — citizens can learn more about what we do. And, for those wondering, yes, we have the helicopter back for this year’s event, weather-permitting, which is always a crowd favorite.”Question #5: Lt. Brian Pupa was recently appointed Deputy Chief of Police. What are your thoughts on his promotion? Chief: “Once I was promoted to permanent chief, the issue of filling the deputy chief came up. The two candidates at the top of the list were Lt. Dan Murray and Lt. Brian Pupa. There was no way I could lose. I’m very much looking forward to working with Brian. His civil service rank is Deputy Chief, but I really want to view this as Chief and Chief 1A. I have that much confidence in him and value and trust his opinion that much. It’s going to be great and I’m excited about it.”Look for 5 more questions with Chief Desmond tomorrow on Wilmington Apple.Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email email@example.com.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington Police Chief Joe Desmond & Deputy Police Chief Brian Pupa Sworn InIn “Police Log”5 QUICK QUESTIONS with Wilmington’s New Police Chief Joe Desmond (PART 2)In “5 Quick Questions”SELECTMEN NEWS: Board Supports Fire & Police Substation In North Wilmington; Town To Vote On Project In April 2020?In “Government”
Plans were presented Oct. 27 for a new sports facility for the Washington Wizards and Mystics on the campus of St. Elizabeths East. (Photo credit: dc.gov)Officials from Events DC, the District’s official tourism agency, and the office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development, presented plans Oct. 27 for a sports facility to be built on the campus of St. Elizabeths East at the R.I.S.E. Demonstration Center.“I am so excited about this project,” Mary Cuthbert, a longtime advisory neighborhood commissioner in Ward 8 and an outspoken advocate on behalf of the ward, said. “The Department of Transportation needs to come to us to explain some of the concerns we have about traffic but this great.”Taking the matter personally in the context of the facility, Cuthbert said “that if [the District government] don’t spend it [public funds] on me, they will spend it on someone else.”On Sept. 16, D.C. Mayor Muriel Bowser (D) and Ted Leonsis, the primary owner of the Washington Wizards and the Washington Mystics, announced the construction of a 5,000 seat arena on a parcel of St. Elizabeths East near the Congress Heights Metro Station. The facility will serve as a practice spot for both the Wizards and the Mystics and the Mystics’ arena for games as well as its headquarters.“This facility will serve as a catalyst to transform this area of town and this entire ward,” Randall Boe, the executive vice president and general counsel of Monumental Sports and Entertainment, said. Boe said that Monumental will create a $10 million community fund for Ward 8 residents, non-profits and businesses.The facility, set to open in 2018, will also serve as a venue for entertainment programs and other athletic and cultural events, such as music concerts, conventions and meetings.Greg O’Dell, the president of Events DC, said his agency will put $27 million into project and the District government has agreed to fund the project at $23 million. He said the sports facility is one major part of the re-development of St. Elizabeths East and his office is working with Catherine Buell, the executive director of St. Elizabeths East, to see that this project is in concert with the overall plan for the site.However, O’Dell made it clear that Ward 8 residents will have plenty of input. “This is why we are here tonight to get feedback from the community,” he said.Buell said St. Elizabeths East is on track to build an Innovation Hub that could be anchored by Microsoft and other high-tech companies. The hub would spur the creation of new technology-related businesses and jobs, to create economic opportunity at all skill levels for residents. Additionally, Buell said plans for affordable housing and retail opportunities are still in the works.Brenda Jones, a civic activist in Ward 8, said she is thrilled the sports facility is coming to the east of the Anacostia River, but that O’Dell needs to take one more step. “I think you should make this presentation to the schools,” she said.Rosalind Styles, a Ward 8 entrepreneur, suggested that a formal memorandum of understanding (MOU) be drafted by the community members on issues such as hiring ward residents and small business procurement and that it be presented to the developers of the facility. “Mary Cuthbert played a key role in drafting MOUs for the community’s benefit with D.C.’s Unified Communications System and the St. Elizabeths project and we should do the same with this,” Styles said. “We should put our hands and heads together to come up with a strategy for this.”Ward 8 businessman Phinis Jones said the facility will change the physical, business and cultural landscape of Ward 8.Some residents, such as We Act Radio co-founder Kymore Freeman, said the facility might not be a good fit for some ward residents. “I want this area of Congress Heights to be declared a ‘displacement zone’ before the arena is finished,” Freeman said. “We want a cap on property taxes for all existing Ward 7 and 8 businesses and we need a MOU to see that people will not be forced out of here because of this arena.”
© 2010 PhysOrg.com Citation: Plan to use submarines to subdue typhoons/hurricanes (2010, September 30) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://phys.org/news/2010-09-submarines-subdue-typhoonshurricanes.html (PhysOrg.com) — A Japanese hydraulic manufacturing company has unveiled plans to use submarines to downgrade the force of typhoons. The company, Ise Kogyo, from Mie in Central Japan, has had patents approved in Japan and India for its geo-engineering plan to use submarines to subdue typhoons, which are known elsewhere in the world as hurricanes, tropical storms, cyclonic storms and cyclones. Explore further More information: via Mainichi Photo by Alan Rowlands, via Wikipedia. The idea is to use a fleet of around 20 submarines in front of the gathering storm, each fitted with eight pumps capable of shooting 480 tonnes of cold water a minute. The submarines would dive to a depth of 30 meters and pump water from that depth onto the surface of the sea to lower the surface temperature. Company executive Koichi Kitamura, who came up with the idea, said that in an hour a fleet of 20 submarines could lower the temperature of 57,000 square meters of surface water enough to diminish the strength of the typhoon, which needs an ocean temperature of 25 to 27 degrees Celsius to form and keep spinning. He said the scheme should be able to stop a typhoon in its tracks.A patent application for the scheme is pending and may be approved soon in the US. The main problems in its implementation would seem to be accurately predicting the path of the storm and deploying enough submarines to exactly the right place in time. These problems may prove insurmountable, and questions have also been raised on the advisability of preventing such storms anyway, since they provide a critical heat transport mechanism for transferring thermal energy around the globe.Ise Kogyo is now reportedly seeking partners to help them test their ideas. Earth from Space: Typhoon Melor This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.