Sony X800M2 4K Bluray player with Dolby Vision coming for 300

first_imgSony With Oppo bowing out of the race in 2018, Sony is one of the only manufacturers still catering to the high end when it comes to 4K Blu-ray players. With the new X800M2, announced at CES, it also fixes something the company left out of the original X800: Dolby Vision. While the cheaper X700 offered it (and hence earned our recommendation instead) the expected Dolby Vision update skips the X800 and comes to the new M2 instead. Dolby Vision is one of several competing standards of High Dynamic Range (HDR) video, which aims to increase picture quality through increased colors and contrast in 4K movies. The new X800M2 supports 4K Ultra HD playback, HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) in addition to 4K upscaling. Like the original, the player supports Hi-Res Audio and DSD as well as SACD/DVD-A. The Sony will also include 4K streaming services such as Netflix and YouTube, though it’s unclear if it also supports HDR . Unlike the X1000, the X800M2 comes with digital outputs only. The X800M2 will be available in mid-May for $300.Originally published on Jan 7 2019 8:15 PMUpdate, April 18:  Added pricing and availability CES 2019: Every story so far: See all of CNET’s coverage of the year’s biggest tech show. CES 2019 schedule: It’s six days of jam-packed events. Here’s what to expect. 85 Photos Blu-ray Players CES 2019 All the cool new gadgets at CES 2019 Share your voice Tags Comments 2 4K TVs Sonylast_img read more

More trouble for Johnny Depp as Amber Heard accuses him of perjury

first_imgAmber Heard and Johnny DeppTwitterThings do not seem to cool down for former Pirates of the Caribbean movie star Johnny Depp. In a shocking turn of events, Amber Heard has reportedly accused her former husband, Johnny Depp of perjury — meaning he lied to the court about one major fight. In addition to this, Aquaman movie actress reportedly has proof of Depp’s lying.Amber Heard has accused Johnny Depp of verbal and physical abuse in May 2016 and she filed for divorce on May 23. Ever since their divorce, Depp has denied Heard’s accusations and even stated once that she painted on bruise herself.That being said, Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s personal lives are currently gathering a lot of media attention, and all for the wrong reasons. As per a recent report by The Blast, Amber Heard has now accused Johnny Depp of lying to the court. The said accusation has come after the Fantastic Beasts movie star claimed that only one 911 emergency call was made on May 21, 2016.However, Heard has produced records showing that two calls were made to 911 on the said night of May 2016. The first call was made at 8:30 pm and then another one was made at 10:09 pm. But it should be noted that Depp’s legal team has also produced some proofs that show a discrepancy in the stories. As per Depp’s legal team, they have CCTV footage of him leaving the house at about 8:30 pm. Johnny Depp with ex-wife Amber Heard at The Art of Elysium Presents on the 9th Annual Heaven by Visionaries Vivienne Westwood & Andreas Kronthaler.Jason Merritt/Getty Images for Art of ElysiumAs per the released documents, the log states that authorities received a call from victim friend Amber, “assaulted by boyfriend, refused to give further [information].” As per the police records, a second call was then made at around 10:09 pm — apparently, Depp’s legal team claims that this was the first 911 call made by Depp’s former wife.As per the records, “Female stated she was on phone with her friend and she began screaming at her husband, subj Amber Heard, Husband Johnny Heard.”Another log also confirms that the actress told the police officers that they were only engaged in verbal abuse. This is the same point which Johnny Depp’s attorneys have also made about the alleged abuse case.last_img read more

Shah Rukh Khan to Ranbir Kapoor Chain Smokers of Bollywood

first_imgShah Rukh Khan: King Khan is a self-confessed chain smoker. On the birth of his youngest son, Shah Rukh had said, “Will I be there to do the same thing that I did with my older kids? Yes, that is a worry. So that keeps you smoking less, drinking less, exercising more. I am planning to give up all (smoking, drinking, etc) and try to be healthier and happier.”Talking about his smoking habits, SRK had said in an interview with India Today, “No, I don’t sleep. I smoke about 100 cigarettes. I forget to eat.”Sanjay Dutt: As we have already seen in his biopic, Sanjay, was a chain-smoker until he decided to quit everything at one go. Talking about his addiction, Sanjay had said, “Drug addiction is a disease which cannot be cured. Today, if I think I can smoke up a joint, I’m finished. The fear of relapse is in the first five-six months of quitting. I diverted my mind in the gym. I started feeling good with my body.”Ranbir Kapoor: “I quit smoking for four months, then started rolling cigarettes again just last month – just one or two a day. It’s something I’m scared of because I’ve been a nicotine addict since I was 15, and it’s the worst kind of addiction,” Ranbir had said in an interview with India Today.It’s taken me trips to Austria, to this doctor who gave me injections in my ears, to help me quit smoking the first time because I don’t think I have the willpower to give it up on my own. But vaping isn’t working for me either – you can’t leave one habit for another. Eventually, it’ll just come back more ferociously,” he added.Ajay Devgn: Ajay Devgn was a chain-smoker but quit smoking to lead a healthier life for his kids – Yug and Nysa.Shahid Kapoor:  Shahid Kapoor was also a chain smoker before he tied the knot with ladylove Mira. On Koffee with Karan, Mira Rajput had revealed that Shahid Kapoor had quit smoking after getting married to her upon her insistence.last_img read more

Schoolgirl killed after rape

first_imgProthom Alo illustrationA third grader was killed after being raped allegedly by a college student at Gabtola village in Ashashuni, Satkhira on Sunday night, reports UNB.The deceased was Sushmita, daughter of Proshanto Das and a student of Gabtola Government Primary School.Police arrested alleged Joydeb Sarker, son of Nirmal Sarker and a student of Budhhata BBM Collegiate College in connection with the crime.Victim’s father said Sushmita used to go at Nirmal’s daughter Ambika every afternoon for private tuition. As Ambika was not at home on Sunday, his brother Joydeb taught Sushmita.There was no one at Joydeb’s house and Joydeb raped Sushmita there.As Sushmita became senseless, Joydeb threw her into a pond, he said.When her family members along with villagers started to search her, Joydeb picked the body up from the pond and kept it at his bathroom.On information, police recovered the body from the bathroom of Joydeb’s house around 11:00am and arrested Joydeb, said Biplob Kumar Nath, officer-in-charge of Ashashuni police station adding that Joydeb confessed to his guilt in primary interrogation.last_img read more

CEC disappointed as BNP boycotts UZ polls

first_imgChief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda. File photoChief election commissioner, KM Nurul Huda, on Sunday expressed his disappointment as some major political parties like Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) decided to boycott the upcoming union parishad elections.The CEC came up with the remark while addressing a training programme as the chief guest at the Election Training Institute in the capital’s Agargaon.”A number of major political parties decided not to join the upcoming upazila election. It’s very disappointing for us as we always wanted a competitive election,” he said.There is no doubt that the upazila election will be a competitive one as many qualified persons are vying for it, he said.Issuing a warning to the officers related to the election, the CEC said strict measures will be taken against those who will be responsible for disrupting the elections.He also urged the election officials to act neutrally while discharging their duties during the elections.Mentioning that the poling agents are an important part of the election process, the CEC urged the election officers to ensure safety and security of the agents when they return home after performing their duties.Elections to 87 upazila parishads in 12 districts under Rangpur, Mymensingh, Sylhet and Rajshahi divisions will be held in the first phase while the second phase of the election is slated for 18 March, the third for 24 March, the fourth for 31 March and the fifth for 18 June.last_img read more

PM Hasina blasts US for issuing red alert

first_imgPrime minister Sheikh Hasina in her introductory speech at Awami League Central Working Committee (ALCWC) meeting at Ganabhaban on Friday. Photo: PIDPrime minister Sheikh Hasina on Friday sharply criticised the USA for issuing an alert on Bangladesh without citing any reason or giving any explanation, reports UNB. “I saw the USA issued a red alert. They didn’t inform us why they issued the alert and gave no explanation either,” she said in her introductory speech at Awami League Central Working Committee (ALCWC) meeting at Ganobhaban. Sheikh Hasina said she has already asked the authorities concerned to look into the matter and find out why the US issued the alert or whether they have any information. “If they’ve any information about any incident that can happen in the coming days, then it’s their responsibility to inform us,” the prime minister said. “They could inform our intelligence agencies so that we could take steps.” Hasina said terrorism is a problem for the whole world. “Bangladesh contained terrorism and militancy successfully. After one incident we’re very much alert and our intelligence agencies are working round the clock. If they (the US) have any information, they should inform the appropriate authority,” she said. The prime minister said Bangladesh is in the top five growth attaining countries and it is natural that those who did not want the country’s independence will not want to see the country advancing smoothly socioeconomically. “They hatched conspiracies in the past, but we’re advancing and we’ll be advancing. Everyone has to work so that our march towards success continues,” she said. The US embassy on Wednesday issued a fresh alert for its citizens living in Bangladesh. “In light of calls for revenge in the wake of the 15 March terrorist attack against on mosques in New Zealand, we encourage US citizens to exercise heightened awareness of the ongoing threat posed by transnational terrorist organisations such as ISIS and al-Qa’ida,” it said in a statement.Terrorist groups, their associates, and those inspired by such organisations remain intent on attacking US and western citizens around the world, including in Bangladesh, it mentioned.It also requested its citizens to review their personal security plans as well to be aware of their surroundings.”Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners and monitor local media for updates,” it added.last_img read more

Gubernatorial Candidates Run the Gamut on Views on Marijuana

first_imgANNAPOLIS – The debate over Maryland’s marijuana laws took the state capital by storm this legislative session, and the issue seems poised to linger there into the future and during the governor’s race.Gov. Martin O’Malley recently signed into law a measure that will make possession of small amounts of marijuana a civil rather than criminal offense starting Oct. 1.The signing marked a shift in opinion by the governor, who had expressed opposition to decriminalization at the January start of the session.A separate measure to legalize, tax and regulate marijuana died in committee.While O’Malley has spoken out against legalizing marijuana for recreational use, the seven major candidates vying to replace him in 2015 expressed a broad range of views in response to a Capital News Service candidates’ questionnaire.The only major candidate currently in support of legalization, Del. Heather Mizeur, D-Montgomery, has touted her plan to regulate and tax marijuana and use the revenue to fund universal prekindergarten.Mizeur also proposed legislation this session that would decriminalize small amounts of the drug, but said legalization would be a “top priority” for her administration if elected governor.“In order to make our communities safer, keep marijuana out of the hands of children, and generate much needed revenue, we must expose this underground industry to the light of day by legalizing, regulating, and taxing marijuana,” she said.Mizeur backed the legalization measure that was introduced this session by Sen. Jamie Raskin, D-Montgomery, and Del. Curt Anderson, D-Baltimore.But most of the focus this session remained on the decriminalization bill sponsored by Sen. Robert Zirkin, D-Baltimore County, and Sen. Allan Kittleman, R-Howard.Democratic candidates Lt. Gov. Anthony Brown and Attorney General Doug Gansler both said they support decriminalization, citing the disproportionate number of marijuana-related arrests among minorities and the high costs for law enforcement and the state.Gansler called the enforcement of Maryland’s marijuana possession laws “racially biased, ineffective, and a serious drain on state resources.”“Our policy on simple marijuana possession costs Maryland millions to arrest, process, prosecute and imprison offenders,” he said. “Millions of dollars are being diverted to enforce [illegal] possession of marijuana when it would be a better use of public dollars if law enforcement could focus on violent crimes and preserving public safety.”Brown, who also said those resources would be better spent on combating violent crime, added that he supports decriminalization because a criminal conviction for minor marijuana possession typically impairs a person’s ability to secure employment or affordable housing.But Brown said that he does not support the legalization of marijuana at this time, as two western states have done.“Colorado and Washington will provide an example of the socio-economic challenges and pitfalls to marijuana legalization,” he said. “We will learn from their experiences and assess whether additional changes to Maryland’s law are warranted.”Gansler, who did not say directly whether he supported or opposed legalization, said that any decision on the matter should be based on the “the health and security” of Marylanders and “not on a rush to tax a new source of income to address budget pressures.”All four major GOP candidates for governor expressed opposition to the legalization of marijuana for recreational purposes, but not all said they were fully closed off to the idea of decriminalization in responses submitted before the General Assembly passed the decriminalization measure on April 7.Larry Hogan, an Anne Arundel County real estate broker and leader of the conservative advocacy group Change Maryland, echoed the sentiment that Maryland should look closely at other states’ experiences with decriminalization and legalization before moving to change any existing laws.But Hogan said that he would “keep an open mind” on the state’s laws despite being currently opposed to legalization.“Destroying someone’s chances of employment and exposing them to violent offenders because they possessed a small amount of marijuana seems unjust,” he said.Gubernatorial candidate Delegate Ron George, R-Anne Arundel, said he would be open to measures that impose civil fines or diversion programs instead of “strict legal methods” for nonviolent drug offenders.But he said he does not believe full legalization is the right course.“I have a master’s degree in clinical psychology and am aware of the effects on the developing brain,” he said.George added that he is concerned marijuana use would increase among young people.Harford County Executive and Republican candidate David Craig expressed concerns about the message any changes would send about the “dangers of marijuana use.”“We also have to consider the way it impacts our state as we attempt to poise ourselves as a cybersecurity, biotech, and defense mecca where top security clearances are required,” Craig said.He questioned how health care issues would be affected if marijuana were legalized and said he does not support legalization or “full decriminalization” of the drug.Charles County businessman and gubernatorial candidate Charles Lollar, a Republican, expressed concern about what he called “the widespread recreational use” of marijuana and the effects it has on users and their families.Lollar, like O’Malley, said he considers marijuana a gateway drug and is against its legalization for recreational purposes.last_img read more

Nations Largest Hispanic Journalist Grou

first_imgNation’s Largest Hispanic Journalist Group Drops… Gary Hershorn by NPR News Richard Gonzales 8.23.19 7:48am The nation’s largest organization of Hispanic journalists is cutting its ties with Fox News over what the group says is the network’s spreading of misinformation about unauthorized immigrants, and by extension Hispanics.The move will cost the National Association of Hispanic Journalists (NAHJ) some money since Fox was signed up to be a sponsor of their upcoming conference.The journalists’ group published a letter to its members Thursday saying it will return to Fox News more than $16,000 donated by the network to sponsor its upcoming conference in San Antonio, Texas.”To accept financial support from an entity that perpetuates the spread of disinformation to the public about the Hispanic and Latino community risks the integrity and credibility of NAHJ’s 35 year mission,” Hugo Balta, the association’s president wrote.Balta, a senior producer at MSNBC, said his group has been in contact with Fox’s management to complain about what he and others consider to be anti-immigrant rhetoric, like when pundits on the conservative network talk about “an invasion” of the U.S. by migrants from Mexico and Central America.He said those concerns were met with expressions of “regret” and nothing more.A recent remark made by Fox News radio host Todd Starnes prompted Balta to say enough is enough.”Starnes likened migrants coming to the United States to Nazi Germany invading western Europe. That’s the straw that broke the camel’s back for me and NAHJ,” he said in an interview with NPR.Balta said Starnes’ comments came less than two weeks after the mass shooting in El Paso, where a gunman killed 22 people after publishing a manifesto citing a “Hispanic invasion of Texas.”Fox has become a megaphone for disinformation, Balta said.”There’s something wrong at Fox News and the reason why it’s rampant is because there are no consequences,” he added.Marsheila Hayes, Fox News’s vice president of diversity and inclusion, said in a statement “it is unfortunate that NAHJ has chosen to exclude Fox News from their upcoming convention.””As the leading news network in the country, we are committed to fostering a diverse and collaborative workplace environment, and have been recognized in the industry for our advancement in this area,” she added.Copyright 2019 NPR. To see more, visit NPR.center_img https://ondemand.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/me/2019/08/20190823_me_nations_largest…last_img read more