Tom Rennie is joined by the former Arsenal winger and Premier League tactics expert Adrian Clarke to look ahead to the big games of the weekend.Topics include: Raheem Sterling facing Liverpool for the first time since his acrimonious departure from the club as Jurgen Klopp’s Reds travel to Manchester City on Saturday.How will West Ham United cope in the absence of Dimitri Payet? The Hammers take on Tottenham on Sunday as 5th takes on 6th.How lucky were Arsenal to beat Tottenham last time out?!Also on the show, the former Crystal Palace defender Matt Lawrence says the Eagles will beat Sunderland on Monday Night Football & ‘Paparazzi’ Olisa Chukwumah from Nigeria Info (one of talkSPORT’s Global Audio Partners) plays the predictor game ‘Tom against the World’.
QPR manager Mark Hughes is considering signing David Bentley on loan from Tottenham next season, according to The People.Bentley, who has been out of favour at Spurs for some time, played under Hughes at Blackburn.The England international currently has a knee injury but has been tipped to be fit for the start of next term.The People also suggest that Chelsea are interested in signing Uruguay international Álvaro Pereira from Porto.Pereira, 26, is a left-sided player who can operate at full-back or further forward.It is claimed that Porto rate him at £23m and that Chelsea may offer £13m plus one of their young players.Click here for the QPR v Stoke quizFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Chelsea’s Florent Malouda is considering an offer from Brazilian club Botafogo, the Daily Mirror report.The 32-year-old Frenchman, who has a Brazilian wife, is said to be weighing up several offers, with his first-team chances at Stamford Bridge looking likely to be limited.It is claimed that he is also wanted by another Brazilian club, Vasco Da Gama, where his ex-Lyon team-mate Juninho Pernambucano plays.The Daily Mail say QPR are poised to loan out Joey Barton, with Blackburn Rovers leading the chase.It is suggested that R’s boss Mark Hughes sees a loan to the Championship – where there is a greater volume of league games over the early part of the season – as an ideal way to run down Barton’s 12-match ban quickly.Nottingham Forest are also said to be interested in the controversial midfielder.Meanwhile, The Sun say Craig Bellamy is set to snub Cardiff and sign for QPR from Liverpool, whereas The Independent believe he will choose to join the Bluebirds. The 33-year-old striker, who played under Hughes for Blackburn and Wales, has been tipped to leave Anfield this summer.This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
Survivors and activists working with the victims of the 1984 Union Carbide gas accident in Bhopal have expressed dismay at the indifference of the State and central governments towards the imminent possibility of Dow Chemical, owner of Union Carbide, escaping criminal liability.The organisations noted on Saturday that Dow Chemical, owner of Union Carbide, after merging with another American multinational DuPont, has announced plans to split up in to three entities by June 2019. According to the victims of the gas tragedy, Union Carbide, which has evaded responsibility for the last 26 years, will cease to be criminally liable following the trifurcation. The organisations said they had written to the Prime Minister as well as various Ministries, asking them to take specific steps. The letters have not even been acknowledged. “We have sought the Prime Minister’s intervention in enlisting the support of U.S. agencies to ensure that Union Carbide and Dow Chemical abide by the orders of Indian courts. He is fully empowered by the Mutual Legal Assistance Treaty between the two countries to do this but so far he has chosen not to use these powers.” said Rachna Dhingra of the Bhopal Group for Information and Action.
A private commerce college in Guwahati has suspended an assistant professor of English for posting “objectionable remarks” on Facebook regarding the February 14 terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir’s Pulwama.The college authorities said they suspended Papri Banerjee with immediate effect on Saturday after her social media post invited criticism and an FIR was lodged against her.In her Facebook post on Friday, Ms. Banerjee said that the killing of the CRPF jawans was a cowardly act that would “break the heart of any Indian”. But she indicated that the armed forces invited retaliation for maiming children, raping women and slaughtering their husbands. “The terrorism maybe Islamic but Karma is a very Indic concept,” she wrote.Facebook users in Assam, grieving the loss of more than 40 CRPF men including Assam’s Maneswar Basumatari, slammed Ms. Banerjee besides tagging the Assam Police for taking action against her. One Subhasish Choudhury of southern Assam’s Silchar town lodged an FIR against her at the local police station.“We have initiated an investigation into the Facebook post,” an officer in the police’s cyber cell said.M.s Banerjee, who removed the post from her timeline after the backlash, told reporters that her post had been misunderstood. “I disagreed but I didn’t disrespect our security forces. I am depressed over the terror attack as any other Indian,” she said.
FC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi takes part in a training session at the Sports Center FC Barcelona Joan Gamper in Sant Joan Despi. APBARCELONA, Spain — Barcelona enjoyed a big win on Saturday (Sunday Manila time) without even playing.Lionel Messi finally put Barcelona and its fans at ease by signing a new contract that will keep the Argentine forward at the Spanish club through 2021 when he will be 34.ADVERTISEMENT Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Club president Josep Bartomeu said Barcelona and Messi already agreed to a new deal in June, but that following Neymar’s departure they revised it to more than double the buyout clause. It was originally set at 300 million euros ($358 million).Bartomeu said the new contract “is more in line with the current situation in the ever-changing world of football.”Barcelona announced in July that Messi agreed to a new deal that it would make official “in the coming weeks.” The wait that turned into months eventually caused many Barcelona supporters to fear the worst.Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said having Messi signed up for four more years should help the team focus on its strong Spanish league and Champions League campaigns this season. Barcelona visits second-place Valencia on Sunday seeking a win that would give it a commanding lead as it tries to retake the Liga title from Real Madrid.“I am not an expert in contract clauses, but if we look at what happened with Neymar, then you have the answer,” Valverde said. “The renewal of Leo is great news for the club. It calms everything down, especially all that surround the team. We already were calm because we see him train every day and we see his commitment to the club.”ADVERTISEMENT Messi has been the heart and soul of Barcelona for more than a decade.A five-time world player of the year, Messi has helped Barcelona win 30 titles since he arrived from Argentina at age 13. That haul includes four Champions Leagues and eight Spanish leagues.Now in his 14th season, Messi is the club’s all-time leading scorer with 523 in 602 matches.He received his fourth Golden Shoe award on Friday for leading all of Europe’s leagues in scoring last season.“The objective is to continue achieving things, fill the club’s trophy cases, and keep making history at Barca,” Messi said. “We’ve been lucky enough to have won a great many things and I hope there will be more in the future.” Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 LATEST STORIES “The club … is my home,” Messi said. “My dream was to finish my career at Barca and we are moving down that path.”The club did not reveal many financial details, including Messi’s salary. According to El Mundo newspaper, Messi will receive 30 million euros ($35.8 million) per season along with a signing bonus of 50 million euros ($59.6 million).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWith his former contract set to run out next summer, Messi would have been free to listen to offers from other teams on Jan. 1. That approaching deadline generated speculation Messi could follow Neymar’s lead and leave.Messi’s new deal includes a buyout clause of 700 million euros ($835 million). The massive figure is aimed at keeping away even the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, which secured Neymar in the offseason by triggering his buyout clause with a record 222 million euros ($262 million) payout. View comments Read Next MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort United, Chelsea rely on strokes of fortune in EPL
Tom Herman Haters Gonna HateTom Herman may now the head coach at Houston, but he certainly hasn’t forgotten his roots with the Ohio State Buckeyes. Friday night, Herman, who coached at OSU under Urban Meyer from 2012 to 2014, came to the defense of his former colleague Zach Smith, who was portrayed negatively in a recent Michigan recruiting pamphlet. He wasn’t messing around either.In the pamphlet, which you can check out here, Michigan lists a number of statistics meant to prove that its assistant coach, Jedd Fisch, is a better alternative to Smith when it comes to player development. Smith responded on Twitter with a number of tweets, trashing the Wolverines program. Herman chimed in with some tweets trashing Fisch. Check this out:Gloves are off. I’d be proud to have @CoachZachSmith coach TD or Maverick. How many Gold Pants does that guy have? https://t.co/5cnV2mLV9H— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith #TheChampIsHere pic.twitter.com/YbIRjQHfKN— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith pic.twitter.com/hlrLQyGHOl— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith, 5 yrs full-time=52-14. TTUN guy, 6 yrs=41-60. I want my son to play 4 a winner & Nat. Champ #Facts pic.twitter.com/o8n2YrJamA— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015If you’re wondering, Fisch’s 41-60 record is a combination of the years he’s put in with the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Golden Gophers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Hurricanes and Jacksonville Jaguars. It’s an odd stat.Forget Ohio State vs. Michigan. Can we get a Houston vs. Michigan game sometime soon?
OTTAWA – Some police forces are implementing nonsensical and downright offensive policies that prohibit or severely limit off-duty cannabis use, says a national association that represents front-line officers.The critical comments come as the RCMP and the Toronto police service both eye a rule that would bar cannabis use by members within 28 days of a shift.The Calgary police service’s policy is even stricter, forbidding the vast majority of officers from consuming marijuana during their down time once recreational use of the drug becomes legal Oct. 17.Tom Stamatakis, president of the Canadian Police Association, wonders why certain forces are treating cannabis differently than other legal products — such as alcohol and prescription drugs — that can cause impairment.“Effectively what they’re saying is, we don’t trust police officers to make the right decision when it comes to reporting for work fit for duty,” Stamatakis said in an interview. “And I just find that to be an offensive approach.”There has been no meaningful consultation on the drafting and implementation of cannabis policies for officers, which vary drastically from force to force, Stamatakis said.“You want to create policies that are relevant and effective and that apply to the vast majority of your members, not policies that are designed to cater to the exception rather than the rule.”The Ottawa and Vancouver police services are among those with permissive policies that will allow off-duty cannabis use with no time restrictions, as long as officers show up ready and able to do their jobs.In contrast, the national police association has been told the RCMP policy would forbid cannabis use by officers 28 days before work.“It’s effectively an outright prohibition,” Stamatakis said.The Mounties said as recently as last week they were still working on a policy. The force had no additional comment Tuesday.The Toronto Police Association, which represents officers in Canada’s largest city, says while it is aware the municipal police service has drafted a cannabis-use policy, it has not yet seen a copy.“We are aware the draft policy may contain a 28-day waiting period before a member can report for duty after consuming cannabis,” association president Mike McCormack said Tuesday in a statement.“Once the TPA receives an official version of the policy dealing with this topic we will perform a legal analysis of its content for compliance with our collective agreements, legislation, human rights, case law, etc. and make a decision about any further action we may take at that point in time.”Workplaces across the country — particularly those with a role in ensuring public safety — are grappling with rules on cannabis use as legalization looms.Impairment, including impairment as a result of alcohol, opioids, cannabis or any other legal or illegal drug, is prohibited in all federal workplaces, the government says. The Treasury Board Secretariat has asked federal departments and agencies to update their codes of conduct and related policies to reflect cannabis legalization.Like the RCMP, other federal public-safety agencies are scrambling to get their pot-use policies in place. Both the Correctional Service of Canada and the Canada Border Services Agency said they were finalizing rules for employees.— Follow @JimBronskill on Twitter
Prince Harry, Patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust, cheered the winners of the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon as they crossed the line during the weekend.Prince Harry with winners of the 2016 Virgin Money London MarathonPrince Harry made the presentations to the winners of the mini marathon, the elite men, women, wheelchair and IPC races, and the John Disley Lifetime Achievement Award.His Royal Highness also met with a selection of volunteers in the administration of the race and members of the St. John Ambulance.Prince Harry has been Patron of the London Marathon Charitable Trust since 2012.Since its inception in 1981, The London Marathon Charitable Trust has awarded grants totalling more than £57.7 million to over 1000 organisations in London, Surrey, Silverstone, Birmingham and Liverpool.Source:Royal.UK
“Are we going home, or are we planning to exodus the place? That’s really the million-dollar question,” said Pardy.He said that the message he’d gotten from the geologists is that the situation is improving, meaning residents could be able to return to their homes in the near future.In contrast, he said that many residents became angry on Sunday upon learning that the Regional District had contracted R&R Rentals to help organize giving residents temporary access to their homes to retrieve belongings.“It really upset people when they started talking about coming in, organizing this evacuation, a bunch of strangers coming into our houses and packing up our stuff.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Though some residents of Old Fort are once again allowed to temporarily return to their homes to winterize structures and retrieve valuables, many residents are frustrated with the uncertainty that has been caused by the landslide that cut off road access to the community over two weeks ago.Old Fort resident Gord Pardy said that while residents did hear some good news at Sunday’s meeting hosted by the Peace River Regional District, she said that many residents have taken issue with the way the PRRD has dealt with the situation.He explained that the Regional District has not made it clear to residents of Old Fort whether they will eventually be allowed to return to their homes or if the landslide will make the community too dangerous for human habitation in the future.