DANSKE BANK MACLARNON CUP SEMI-FINAL PREVIEWGarvaghey, Wednesday 7.30pm St Malachy’s Belfast v St Eunan’s Letterkenny St Eunan’s Letterkenny are favourites to make it an all-Donegal final in the Danske Bank MacLarnon Cup.The team standing in their way this Wednesday evening is the surprise semi-finalists St Malachy’s Belfast who had a single point to spare over a fancied Holy Trinity Cookstown at the start of February.A late pointed free from Ciaran Loaney clinched a 3-7 to 2-9 victory, but St Malachy’s led by 11 points after just 17 minutes as they tore the Cookstown defence apart.However they hit a barren spell after that and Loaney’s late free was their only score of the second half. St Malachy’s had topped their qualification group and have on board most of the St Enda’s Glengormley club side that collected the 2012 Ulster under 16 title.No fewer than eight of the school team are included in the Antrim minor squad and the likes of Ronan Hanna, Odhrán Eastwood and James McAuley will trouble any defensive line.St Eunan’s however looked good in their group games and also in Celtic Park when they defeated St Columb’s Derry in the quarter-final by 0-11 to 1-6.All-star goalie Shaun Patton had an excellent game at the back for the Donegal lads and the distance and placement of his kick-outs greatly assisted his side.Sean Hume was the scoring hero with seven points in total while 15-year-old Niall O’Donnell also impressed in the forward line in a decent all-round team performance. St Malachy’s fancied themselves against Cookstown, and being the underdog suited them. This however is a stiffer challenge and they will need more than one second half score to see this one out.St Eunan’s have the incentive of a derby final with Coláistí Inis Eoghain and that should drive them on to justify the favourites’ tag.CAN ST EUNAN’S COLLEGE MAKE MACLARNON CUP FINAL AN ALL-DONEGAL AFFAIR? was last modified: February 25th, 2014 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Danske BankInishowenletterkennyMacLarnon Cup FinalSt Malachy’s BelfastSt.Eunan’s College
Former Moga SSP Charanjit Singh Sharma was on Sunday arrested in a case related to the killing of two youths in alleged police firing on anti-sacrilege protesters in 2015 at Behbal Kalan in Punjab’s Faridkot district, the police said.Confirming Sharma’s arrest from his residence in Hoshiarpur, Inspector General of Police Kunwar Vijay Pratap Singh said they had specific inputs that the accused was trying to flee to some undisclosed location. “Former Senior Superintendent of Police Charanjit Singh Sharma was arrested from his residence in Hoshiarpur by a Special Investigation Team of the Punjab Police,” Mr. Singh, who is also a SIT member, said. He said Sharma had been asked to appear before the SIT on January 29, “but when we got the input that he was trying to flee, we carried out his arrest. Had we not arrested him in the morning, he would have fled by evening”. “We are conducting investigations and taking action as per law. During this period, Charanjit Singh Sharma and some others had filed a writ before the Punjab and Haryana High Court, on which the court gave its verdict recently,” he said.Sharma was leading a police party that allegedly opened fire at the anti-sacrilege protesters at Behbal Kalan on October 14, 2015. His arrest, first in the case after the SIT was formed last year, comes two days after the HC dismissed the petitions seeking a CBI probe into the incidents and challenging the findings of the Ranjit Singh Commission.
Cheteshwar PujaraCheteshwar Pujara struck his second successive half-century of the tour as India reached 217 for five at tea on the second day of the practice game against Derbyshire ahead of the five-Test series against England in Derbyshire on Wednesday.Pujara continued his rich form and scored 81 runs off 131 balls with the help of 13 fours before retiring to give other batsmen match practice.India accumulated their runs in 62 overs. At the post-lunch break, Ravindra Jadeja (14 not out) and Stuart Binny (3 not out) were at the crease with the former having been dropped on zero.Among prominent batsmen, Gautam Gambhir, Ajinkya Rahane and Rohit Sharma are yet to bat in this innings.Pujara and Virat Kohli (36) carried on after lunch, but were able to add only five runs to their partnership when the latter was bowled.Kohli played on a delivery from Ben Cotton (2/20) who picked up his second wicket of the innings. Skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni then walked in to bat, having not had a hit in the middle so far, after sitting out in the first innings at Leicester.The Indian skipper made good use of the placid conditions and played some attacking shots, scoring 46 runs off 56 balls, hitting foue boundaries and one six. He perished in the same manner, charging spinner David Wainwright (1/40), only to be bowled. .At the other end, Pujara calmly accumulated his runs, reaching his second half-century of the tour off 98 balls which nine fours. Along with Dhoni he added 119 runs for the fourth wicket.After Dhoni was dismissed in the 55th over, two balls later, Pujara retired when he was just 19 short of a triple-figure score.advertisementEarlier, India made slow progress in the morning session, in reply to Derbyshire’s first innings’ score of 326 for five 5.Kohli and Pujara were at the crease at the lunch break, having put up a partnership of 58 runs for the third wicket, after Shikhar Dhawan (6) and Murali Vijay (6) were dismissed cheaply earlier in the session.Vijay was out LBW to Mark Turner (1/30) with the score reading just 18, although the batsman was clearly disappointed with the decision. Four balls later, Cotton had Dhawan caught behind.Both the openers were out for identical scores, each having faced 26 balls and hit one four apiece.Derbyshire had won the toss yesterday and rode on half-centuries from Wes Durston (95), Ben Slater (54) and Harvey Hossein (53 not out) to pile up the runs against a listless Indian bowling attack.Ravindra Jadeja (2/27), Pankaj Singh (1/63), Ishwar Pandey (1/34) and Stuart Binny (1/25) were the wicket-takers for the visitors.
Liverpool boss Klopp: Napoli can win Champions Leagueby Freddie Taylora month agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool boss Jurgen Klopp believes Napoli are good enough to win the Champions League.The Reds and defending champions suffered a humbling 2-0 loss to the Italian outfit in Naples.Goals from Dries Mertens and Fernando Llorente were enough to give Napoli the win.Speaking about the game and Napoli, Klopp said to the club’s official website: “They can win the competition, that’s how it is. “If you have a good plan, if you have good players, which is what they obviously have, then they can win the competition. “We experienced that you don’t have to be the best team in the world to win the Champions League. “You have to be in the right moment, you need to be lucky in some situations and when there’s only two guys in the room that think it’s a penalty you still have to accept that’s a penalty, but that’s all. “They can win the competition, of course.” About the authorFreddie TaylorShare the loveHave your say
Bayern Munich defender Niklas Sule admits Prem move closeby Paul Vegas25 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveNiklas Sule has revealed he almost joined a Premier League club before deciding on a move to Bayern Munich in 2017.The 24-year-old added that he would love to play in the English top-flight one day.“It was a thought to go to the Premier League [in 2017],” the 24-year-old exclusively told Goal and DAZN.“This is one of the leagues in which I really want to play. At the time, however, I saw the change to Munich as the best step. And, as you can see, I am very happy at Bayern.“Not only because I got my way, but also because the fans and all the staff are great.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
Real Sociedad striker Isak: Spanish football suits me wellby Carlos Volcano15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAlexander Isak admits he’s enjoying his football with Real Sociedad.The young Swede moved to La Real this summer from Borussia Dortmund.Isak said, “Spanish football suits me well and I have been able to adapt well and I get a lot out of my game. “It feels good and it feels like I will be able to develop.”Isak admits he is a little surprised at Real Sociedad’s fine start to the season. The team is fifth in La Liga.”I’m a little surprised. I arrived fairly recently and did not have a great look. Although I know it is a good team, the start has been surprisingly good.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Tom Herman Haters Gonna HateTom Herman may now the head coach at Houston, but he certainly hasn’t forgotten his roots with the Ohio State Buckeyes. Friday night, Herman, who coached at OSU under Urban Meyer from 2012 to 2014, came to the defense of his former colleague Zach Smith, who was portrayed negatively in a recent Michigan recruiting pamphlet. He wasn’t messing around either.In the pamphlet, which you can check out here, Michigan lists a number of statistics meant to prove that its assistant coach, Jedd Fisch, is a better alternative to Smith when it comes to player development. Smith responded on Twitter with a number of tweets, trashing the Wolverines program. Herman chimed in with some tweets trashing Fisch. Check this out:Gloves are off. I’d be proud to have @CoachZachSmith coach TD or Maverick. How many Gold Pants does that guy have? https://t.co/5cnV2mLV9H— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith #TheChampIsHere pic.twitter.com/YbIRjQHfKN— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith pic.twitter.com/hlrLQyGHOl— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015.@CoachZachSmith, 5 yrs full-time=52-14. TTUN guy, 6 yrs=41-60. I want my son to play 4 a winner & Nat. Champ #Facts pic.twitter.com/o8n2YrJamA— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015If you’re wondering, Fisch’s 41-60 record is a combination of the years he’s put in with the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Golden Gophers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Hurricanes and Jacksonville Jaguars. It’s an odd stat.Forget Ohio State vs. Michigan. Can we get a Houston vs. Michigan game sometime soon?
OTTAWA – Members of a thalidomide survivor group allege that patients were belittled in a face-to-face meeting with Kent Hehr, the federal minister for persons with disabilities.Fiona Sampson, a thalidomide survivor in the meeting, said Hehr degraded patients with his remarks.She said he apologized this fall after a letter was sent to the Prime Minister’s Office.The survivors are calling on the federal government to honour a pledge to compensate them with a lump sum payment of $250,000 and increased annual pensions.They say patients have received lump sum payments of $125,000 each, noting they are struggling to make ends meet due to the extent of their disabilities.In December 2014, the House of Commons passed a unanimous motion with a commitment to provide “full support’ to Canadian thalidomide victims who were born with physical disabilities due to the effects of the drug during pregnancy.