WILMINGTON, MA — According to Wilmington Police Logs, Wilmington Police issued the following arrests and summonses between May 24, 2018 and May 30, 2018:Thursday, May 24NoneFriday, May 25NoneSaturday, May 26NoneSunday, May 27NoneMonday, May 28Aline C. Castro (54, Woburn) — Unlicensed Operation Of A Motor Vehicle (Summons)Tuesday, May 29John H. Carroll (26, Peabody) — OUI Liquor; Negligent Operation Of Motor Vehicle; and Marked Lanes Violation (Arrest)Wednesday, May 30None(DISCLAIMER: This information is public information. An arrest does not constitute a conviction. Any arrested person is innocent until proven guilty.)Like Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 5 Arrests & Issue 4 SummonsesIn “Police Log”ARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 2 Arrests & Issue 1 SummonsIn “Police Log”ARREST LOG: Wilmington Police Make 1 Arrest & Issue 2 SummonsesIn “Police Log”
A downed tree covers a parked vehicle during a winter storm in San Francisco. ReutersForecasters expect another half foot of rain to soak central and northern California and the Sierra Nevada mountains through early Tuesday, coming on the heels of powerful storms that walloped the state and other parts of the U.S. west on Sunday.The drenching rains and blowing snow flooded rivers and shut down roads from mudslides in a state that has struggled with drought for years.From 3 to 8 inches (7.6 to 20 cm) of rain is forecast in the region while several feet (1-2 metres) of snow are likely for higher elevations, said meteorologist Andrew Orrison at the National Weather Service’s Weather Prediction Center in Maryland.“We’re going to see heavy rain going into (Monday) evening and early morning,” he said.Heavy snow is expected in Nevada and the northern Rocky Mountains could get several feet of snow over the next day or two.The weather service said almost 40 rivers or creeks in Northern California and western Nevada were flooded or threatened to top their banks. But an emergency agency spokesman said there had been no reports of fatalities or serious damage.Authorities said a section of Interstate 80 near Truckee, southwest of Reno, Nevada, was closed by a mudslide.The upper Napa River north of San Francisco was expected to cause “extreme damage to all towns along the reach,” the California emergency agency said in a statement. Anticipated flooding brought voluntary evacuations in neighboring Sonoma County.Residents of Cambria, near the famous Hearst Castle along California’s central coast, were advised to move to higher ground due a flash flood warning.Several other California highways were closed from landslides or high water. In Washington state, high winds, ice and heavy snow shut roads and created hazardous driving conditions.Iridium Communications said Elon Musk’s SpaceX rocket company had delayed Monday’s launch of a Falcon 9 rocket carrying 10 of its satellites from Vandenberg Air Force Base, north of Los Angeles. The launch was now set for Saturday.The storm is drawing strength from the interaction between an “atmospheric river,” a plume of water vapor flowing from the tropics toward the West Coast, and a low-pressure area near Oregon, the National Weather Service said.After years of drought, the storm is the latest in a strong wet season for California that began in the autumn. Another front is expected on Tuesday.In an encouraging sign, the U.S. Forest Service said the rain had restored moisture levels in Southern California vegetation to a seasonal normal for the first time in five years.The eastern United States experienced low temperatures on Sunday, the day after a massive storm dumped snow from Georgia to Massachusetts.
Police tapes off Parliament Square after reports of loud bangs, in London. Photo: ReutersBritish police shot a suspected attacker outside the Houses of Parliament in London on Wednesday after an officer was stabbed in what police said was a “terrorist” incident.The building in the heart of the British capital was immediately sealed off and MPs and staff ordered to remain inside.David Lidington, the leader of parliament’s lower House of Commons who is responsible for arranging government business, told MPs: “What I am able to say to the house is there has been a serious incident.”It seems that a police officer has been stabbed, that the alleged assailant was shot by armed police.”There are also reports of further violent incidents in the vicinity of the Palace of Westminster,” he said.He said he could not go into further details until there was confirmation from the police and security authorities.Prime minister Theresa May is safe, a statement from her Downing Street office said, and she was seen getting into a car and being driven away from parliament.Lidington said an air ambulance was at the scene to take away casualties.TV pictures showed traffic halted on the nearby Westminster Bridge and emergency vehicles swarming around. The busy bridge was completely shut off to traffic.Armed police swarmed to the area which was quickly sealed off to the public.The incident came on the same day that Belgium was marking a year since its most deadly attack, when 32 people were killed in suicide bombings at Brussels Airport and a metro station.In July 2005, four British suicide bombers inspired by Al-Qaeda attacked London’s transport system during rush hour, killing 52 people.Two weeks later, there was an attempt to carry out a second wave of attacks.A spokesman for the House of Commons told AFP: “We can confirm that the sitting has been suspended in the Commons at the moment. We are aware of a security incident that has taken place.”London’s metropolitan police said on Twitter: “We were called at approx 2:40 pm to reports of an incident at Westminster Bridge. Being treated as a firearms incident — police on the scene.”Officers — including firearms officers — are on scene and dealing with the incident.”A staff member in parliament, who did not want to be named, told AFP: “I definitely heard shots. I saw someone in dark clothing go down.”Westminster station on the London Underground train network, which is opposite the Houses of Parliament, was closed over to the incident.Read more:UK parliament in lockdown after ‘shots fired’Assailant shot, at least a dozen injured in incident at UK parliament: Reuters
Chief election commissioner KM Nurul Huda. File photoChief election commissioner, KM Nurul Huda, on Sunday expressed his disappointment as some major political parties like Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) decided to boycott the upcoming union parishad elections.The CEC came up with the remark while addressing a training programme as the chief guest at the Election Training Institute in the capital’s Agargaon.”A number of major political parties decided not to join the upcoming upazila election. It’s very disappointing for us as we always wanted a competitive election,” he said.There is no doubt that the upazila election will be a competitive one as many qualified persons are vying for it, he said.Issuing a warning to the officers related to the election, the CEC said strict measures will be taken against those who will be responsible for disrupting the elections.He also urged the election officials to act neutrally while discharging their duties during the elections.Mentioning that the poling agents are an important part of the election process, the CEC urged the election officers to ensure safety and security of the agents when they return home after performing their duties.Elections to 87 upazila parishads in 12 districts under Rangpur, Mymensingh, Sylhet and Rajshahi divisions will be held in the first phase while the second phase of the election is slated for 18 March, the third for 24 March, the fourth for 31 March and the fifth for 18 June.
Children visit a haunted Halloween trailer.It was Halloween night and tiny goblins and ghouls, witches, and pirates scurried along the streets of southeast Washington. However, they weren’t headed door to door. They were headed car trunk to car trunk. Trunk of Treat had come to AnacostiaThis year, residents joined a slow growing trend across the nation in cities from Sioux Falls, South Dakota to Detroit to Johnson City, Tennessee, where adults decorate their cars as monsters and spiders and park in the parking lot behind the Big Chair in Anacostia for children to trick or treat.“I wanted to do something creative,” Jonathan Silverman, brother of at-large D.C. Councilwoman Elissa Silverman (D), said. “Part of this Trunk or Treat idea is so that kids can all come together and meet each other. I wanted to make it kind of like a house. I wanted to make it a welcome place to come in.”Mayor Muriel Bowser and Ward 8 Councilwoman LaRuby May take in the festivities..Councilwoman Silverman and Ward 8 Councilmember LaRuby May (D) sponsored the night’s events with Mayor Muriel Bowser’s help. Bowser (D) came to watch the children have fun and to see May dance.Between eating their picked up Twizzlers, Mike & Ike, and Kit Kats, children stopped to create arts and crafts, snack on popcorn, play in the bounce house, or take a trip into a mobile trailer that had been turned into a haunted house.They took tours through a Halloween Metro bus decorated with spider webs and skeletons and climbed atop a huge yellow steamroller to blow the horn.“I thought it was a great concept and a great idea to have everyone together and there’s a real sense of community here,” said Nicole Luke, who blogs about community events using the name D.C. Thrifty Mom.Luke said she came to hand out candy and allow her two daughters to trick or treat.Dorothy Wortham and her son and daughter traveled from Clinton, Maryland to participate in the event. Wortham’s son was dressed as a Star Wars character. “LaRuby May is a member of my church at Allen Chapel AME Church,” she explained. “We did it last year on a smaller scale on our church parking lot. So, Ms. May wanted to make it bigger and invite more people so they moved it out here. I love it and I think it’s a great idea.“My son is having a ball. We’re trying to get him to leave, and he doesn’t want to. We’re having a great time.”For many, the key element was that the event was a safe space for children to enjoy Halloween. “This is a safe way to do things,” said Denise Monroe who came with her husband and three grandchildren. “I heard about it and here we are.”Ro Zebina, president of the Deuces Wild Motorcycle Club, and his members, dressed in emblem-covered hoodies and vests, brought along about 20 motorcycles. They handed out candy and posed with children for pictures. “I hope that there are more events like this for the kids to come out and see that there’s positivity and different things going for them,” Zebina said.