Real Sociedad striker Isak: Spanish football suits me wellby Carlos Volcano15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveAlexander Isak admits he’s enjoying his football with Real Sociedad.The young Swede moved to La Real this summer from Borussia Dortmund.Isak said, “Spanish football suits me well and I have been able to adapt well and I get a lot out of my game. “It feels good and it feels like I will be able to develop.”Isak admits he is a little surprised at Real Sociedad’s fine start to the season. The team is fifth in La Liga.”I’m a little surprised. I arrived fairly recently and did not have a great look. Although I know it is a good team, the start has been surprisingly good.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
LIMA, Peru – Two of the three political leaders with the most at stake at the NAFTA table huddled Friday behind closed doors, their most senior trade lieutenants alongside, in hopes of unlocking a mutually beneficial solution to the cross-border conundrum posed by U.S. President Donald Trump.Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto gathered on the sidelines of a major international summit in Peru’s capital, along with Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland and Mexican Economy Secretary Ildefonso Guajardo.U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer pulled out of the summit at the last minute, sending his deputy, C. J. Mahoney, in his place.The sit-down, the first face-to-face between the two leaders since November, comes at a critical time, with Canada, Mexico and the U.S. all looking for a breakthrough in the ongoing effort to update the North American Free Trade Agreement — and Trump’s wild-card trade strategies doing little to clear the air.It was also a chance for Trudeau to take stock of Mexico’s position — and perhaps share strategies — before the prime minister heads into a meeting Saturday with U.S. Vice-President Mike Pence.Pence is in Peru instead of Trump, who was originally scheduled to attend but decided against it at the last minute, ostensibly to deal with the American response to a chemical attack in Syria.Freeland described the conversation between Trudeau and Pena Nieto as “a good one,” even as she expressed optimism about the state of NAFTA negotiations, which are continuing in Washington this weekend.“Canada and Mexico found that we’re very much on the same page in believing that now is the moment to very, very intensely engage and to really enter a new stage, a new rhythm, a new level of negotiations,” she told reporters after the sitdown.The meeting between the Canadian and Mexican leaders came one day after U.S. officials indicated they were willing to soften their demands on autos, which Trump followed by warning that he was willing to renegotiate “forever.”Freeland refused to speculate on these apparently competing messages, even as she said all trade negotiations are subject to “moments of drama.”“There certainly have been moments of drama in the past,” she said of the NAFTA talks. “And I will make a prediction … there are more dramatic moments (coming) in the days to come. And we should not be distracted by those.”Trudeau’s meetings with Pena Nieto and Pence come as the three are attending the Summit of the Americas, which is held every four years and brings together leaders from across the Western Hemisphere.The prime minister started his day Friday by meeting Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra, who served as Peru’s ambassador to Canada before the previous president was forced to resign over a scandal last month.Trudeau delivered a 10-minute address to business leaders from across the Americas encouraging them to invest in Canada, noting that the country has free trade agreements with dozens of countries around the world.Even as his government struggles to deal with a pipeline crisis at home, one that has forced him to return to Canada on Sunday before resuming his travels to Europe, Trudeau pitched his country as a great place to invest, telling hundreds of business leaders “that big things can get done in Canada.”More than half the countries with which Canada has free trade agreements are in the Americas, Trudeau said, and the hope is to add a deal with Latin America’s largest trading bloc, Mercosur, to that tally.“Even in this age where the value of trade is being questioned by some, we have successfully negotiated landmark agreements with Europe and with Asia,” Trudeau added – a not-so subtle dig at protectionists like Trump.The prime minister went on to emphasize Canada’s skilled labour force, low unemployment and debt-to-GDP ratio, recent federal investments in infrastructure and a new investment agency as proof that Canada is open for business.The message appeared well received, and Kenneth Frankel, president of the Canadian Council for the Americas, said the region offers a natural opportunity for Canada – particularly as it looks for a northern partner who isn’t Trump.Yet Siegfried Kiefer, president of Calgary-based engineering firm Atco Ltd., said Latin American leaders have told him they need massive new investments in infrastructure to grow their economies first.On that front, Canada’s own record on infrastructure and “national-interest projects” has room for improvement, Kiefer said, including Kinder Morgan’s Trans Mountain pipeline, which is at the centre of a fierce battle between the Alberta and B.C. governments.“The business community is generally looking for proof in the pudding,” he said.“The public unrest relative to some of these projects is really what you’re trying to deal with. And that in my mind deals with how do you gain the trust of the people of the country that you have looked at the merits of the project objectively.”Trudeau’s day also included hosting a lunch with representatives from the 15-country Caribbean Community, where he announced $25 million in new funding to help the region deal with natural disasters such as hurricanes.The prime minister also met with Chilean President Sebastien Pinera, who took office in March and whose country is an important political and trade partner with Canada.– Follow @leeberthiaume on TwitterNote to readers: This is a corrected story. An earlier version had a typo in Siegfried Kiefer’s first name.
“Are we going home, or are we planning to exodus the place? That’s really the million-dollar question,” said Pardy.He said that the message he’d gotten from the geologists is that the situation is improving, meaning residents could be able to return to their homes in the near future.In contrast, he said that many residents became angry on Sunday upon learning that the Regional District had contracted R&R Rentals to help organize giving residents temporary access to their homes to retrieve belongings.“It really upset people when they started talking about coming in, organizing this evacuation, a bunch of strangers coming into our houses and packing up our stuff.” FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – Though some residents of Old Fort are once again allowed to temporarily return to their homes to winterize structures and retrieve valuables, many residents are frustrated with the uncertainty that has been caused by the landslide that cut off road access to the community over two weeks ago.Old Fort resident Gord Pardy said that while residents did hear some good news at Sunday’s meeting hosted by the Peace River Regional District, she said that many residents have taken issue with the way the PRRD has dealt with the situation.He explained that the Regional District has not made it clear to residents of Old Fort whether they will eventually be allowed to return to their homes or if the landslide will make the community too dangerous for human habitation in the future.
Ramallah (Palestinian Territories)- Palestinian investigators said on Friday that Israel is the “only suspect” in the death of president Yasser Arafat, after laboratory tests suggested he died from polonium poisoning.“We say that Israel is the prime and only suspect in the case of Yasser Arafat’s assassination, and we will continue to carry out a thorough investigation to find out and confirm all the details and all elements of the case,” Palestinian inquiry chief Tawfiq Tirawi told a news conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah.Tirawi said the Palestinian inquiry had studied the findings of Swiss scientists, released Wednesday, which “moderately” supported the notion that Arafat had been poisoned. “This is the crime of the 21st century,” Tirawi said. “The fundamental (goal) is to find out who is behind the liquidation of Yasser Arafat.”Palestinian officials on Thursday demanded an international inquiry into Arafat’s “killing”.“The results prove Arafat was poisoned by polonium,” said senior Palestine Liberation Organisation official Wasel Abu Yusef.“This substance is owned by states, not people, meaning that the crime was committed by a state,” he told AFP, calling for an “international committee” to probe the killing along the lines of the one that investigated the murder of Lebanon’s Rafiq Hariri.Speaking to reporters in Lausanne Thursday, the Swiss team said the test results neither confirmed nor denied that polonium was the actual source of his death, although they provided “moderate” backing for the idea he was poisoned by the rare and highly radioactive element.They said the quantity of the deadly substance found on his remains pointed to the involvement of a third party.“We can’t say that polonium was the source of his death… nor can we rule it out,” said Professor Francois Bochud of the Lausanne Institute of Applied Radiophysics.Bochud’s lab measured levels of polonium up to 20 times higher than it is used to detecting.Arafat died in France on November 11, 2004 at the age of 75 after falling sick a month earlier, but doctors were unable to specify the cause of death and no post-mortem was carried out at the time.In November 2012, his remains were exhumed and samples taken, partly to investigate whether he had been poisoned with polonium — a suspicion that grew after the assassination in that manner of Russian ex-spy and Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko in London in 2006.Since Arafat’s death, Palestinian society has long given currency to the rumour that he was murdered, with Israel the party most often blamed.But there has never been any proof.
The fleeting public outrage was enough to force the NFL to reconsider its personal conduct policy, but the league hasn’t yet codified many policies. Public pressure to do so, meanwhile, along with the media spotlight, has largely disappeared. In early September, the story of Ray Rice assaulting his then-fiancée in an Atlantic City casino exploded in the media, sparking a debate about how to prevent — and respond to — domestic violence in the NFL and society at large. But why September? The actual assault happened in February, and yet it took almost seven months for media coverage to reach its height, according to a search of Lexis-Nexis.The answer is simple: On Sept. 8, TMZ released the video of the assault, which brought the story back into the news. But even then, our attention spans — perhaps unsurprisingly — are short. Here’s a more detailed look at the media coverage that Rice, as well as the overall issue of domestic violence in the NFL, has received since the beginning of September.For the week following the video’s release, articles mentioning “Ray Rice” averaged about 1,900 per day, according to Lexis-Nexis; articles mentioning both “domestic violence” and “NFL” averaged nearly 1,120 per day. The past week, however, pales in comparison: “Ray Rice” has been written about 37 times per day, and “domestic violence” and “NFL” have been mentioned in 44 articles per day. This is despite news that Rice could be reinstated as soon as next month.Rather, NFL news is back to covering on-the-field events. For example, Google Trends shows news about Peyton Manning has been chugging along at about the same rate (not including the recent surge in coverage of his breaking the career touchdown record) and has overtaken headlines about Rice.
A four-star recruit coming out of Coldwater High School, senior co-captain Ross Homan was highly touted coming to Ohio State in 2006. Entering a program in Columbus with a long tradition of great linebackers, Homan said he embraced the challenge. “At Ohio State you always have great expectations, it comes with great challenges,” Homan said. “But I think every person here, all the seniors, we want to be challenged everyday. I think it is a matter of stepping up to those challenges and meeting those expectations.” Now halfway through his senior campaign and with more than 250 career tackles to his name, Homan has certainly lived up to the hype and met, if not exceeded, those expectations. A three-year starter, Homan made an impact right away, appearing in all 13 games his freshman year. Collecting 28 tackles in his first year at OSU, Homan said having premiere linebackers such as James Laurinaitis to learn from definitely helped his transition from high school to college. “When I first came in, the person who hosted me on my recruiting visit was James (Laurinaitis) and he really was my older brother here, which was a huge asset to me,” Homan said. “I saw how he watched film, how he worked out, how he approached the game overall … It just really helped me out playing with James.” With Laurinaitis gone, Homan began to gain fame in 2009 when he led the Rose Bowl-champion Buckeye squad in tackles with 108. Despite now being a focal point on the defense and a captain on this year’s team, the 2009 second-team All-Big Ten selection’s production has stayed strong, once again leading the Bucks in tackles. Recognizing his role as a leader on the team, Homan has taken his job as captain to heart and hopes his all-out playing style rubs off on his teammates. “Now I have to be a leader,” he said. “I’m not a real vocal leader, but I’m more of a by-example leader, so I have to lead this team anyway I can, get on the younger guys and just try to get better at that everyday.” As his Buckeye career comes to a close, Homan continues to cement his name in OSU history. Defensive tackle Dexter Larimore believes, as far as linebackers go, he may be one of the tops this university has ever seen. “I think once you look back on his lifetime here and what he has done here, I think he will be up there,” Larimore said. “If you look at the film and you watch him move side to side and do the things that he has done … I personally think he will be one of the top five guys that have come out of here.”
Former Everton striker Wayne Rooney has revealed the club’s major shareholder Fahad Moshiri rather than former manager Sam Allardyce wanted him out of the club.The ex-England captain returned to Everton in the summer of 2017 after 13 successful seasons with Manchester United, where he became the club’s all-time leading top scorer.Rooney who moved to MLS side DC United earlier this year insists Allardyce wanted him to stay at the club without guarantee of regular game time but Moshiri wasn’t keen on it.“[Leaving] was the owner’s decision. He knew he was going to bring a lot of players in and wanted to free money up. That’s his decision but I’m disappointed how it happened,” Rooney told The Sunday Times.Premier League Betting: Match-day 5 Stuart Heath – September 14, 2019 Going into the Premier League’s match-day five with a gap already beginning to form at the top of the league. We will take a…“I started to think: ‘Is there something being said?’ So I went to see Sam [Allardyce]. I said ‘listen, I’m not a kid, what’s going on – do you want me or not?”“Sam was the honest one. He said, ‘If I’m still here next season you might not play as much but I still want you’. But then he said: ‘I’m not sure the owner has the same opinion’. And trying to get an honest answer out of the owner took three months.“I kept trying and trying. All I wanted was clarity. Even [current Everton boss] Marco Silva was surprised because before he came in he was told I was leaving – but that was before I was told I could leave.”
Tottenham Hotspur defender Danny Rose believes the team can compete with best teams across Europe after their performance in the group stages of the competition last season.Mauricio Pochettino’s men finished first in a group that had both Real Madrid and Borussia Dortmund, and Spurs recorded comfortable home victories over both clubs to record an easy passage to the second round where they were eliminated by Juventus.“We went to the Bernabeu and were unlucky not to win that game and then when we played them at Wembley we outplayed them, and not just them, Dortmund as well,” Rose said, according to Sky Sports.“We’ve proved that we can do it. At the minute we’re winning ugly and we’re just waiting for the performance to go with the victories.”Pochettino admits Wanyama remains in his Spurs plans Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Kenyan international, Victor Wanyama, was the protagonist of a summer transfer saga, but in the end, he is set to stay at Tottenham Hotspur.Rose was instrumental during Spurs’ 2-0 win over Huddersfield Town on Saturday, winning the penalty that handed the club its second goal of the day after he was fouled by Florent Hardergjonaj in the box.After speculation linking Rose with a move from Spurs in the summer, the England international is grateful he remains central to Pochettino’s plans.“I’m just happy to be playing,” Rose added. “It’s probably something I didn’t expect four or five weeks ago. I’m just happy I’m in a position to be selected and I want it to continue.”
An accused in a case filed over the ‘gun attack’ on a senior police officer was killed in a reported gunfight between detectives and criminals in Jurain graveyard area of the city early Tuesday, reports UNB. The detectives recovered two pistols, two magazines and, a bullet from the spot after the ‘gun battle’ that also left three members of the Detective Branch of police injured.The deceased, aged around 30, could not be identified yet.Senior assistant commissioner (DB, West Zonal Team) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police Md Shahadat Hossain said his team arrested Delwar Hossain Shanta, an accused in the case filed with Shyampur police station over the gun attack on DB AC Rahul Patwari, from Jatrabari area on Monday night.According to his statement, the DB team conducted a drive near Gate-2 of Jurain graveyard around 1:40am today to arrest his cohorts, he said.Sensing the presence of the detectives, the criminals, numbering four, opened fire on them which forced the law enforcers to retaliate, Shahadat said.During the exchange of fire, one of the criminals sustained bullet injuries while others fled the scene, he said, adding that three DB men were also injured in the incident.Later, the bullet-hit criminal was taken to Dhaka Medical College Hospital where physicians declared him dead around 4:00am, said Mahbubul Haque, sub-inspector of Shyampur police station.Senior AC Rahul sustained bullet injuries as criminals fired gunshots when he along with his team members was conducting an operation against illegal firearms in Shyampur area on 12 August.