2008 Year End Tourism Stats Available

first_imgNova Scotia welcomed almost 2,080,000 visitors in 2008 and the economic impact of the province’s tourism industry reached $1.33 billion, on par with 2007. The total number of visitors to the province decreased by three per cent in 2008, while the number of room nights sold increased by 25,000 or one per cent. “We held our own in 2008 and are doing all we can to attract visitors in 2009,” said Bill Dooks, Minister of Tourism, Culture and Heritage. “We are set to launch our new marketing plan, which focuses on growth markets with easy access to Nova Scotia, increased emphasis on social media, developing compelling visitor experiences and building even stronger relationships with our industry partners.” The downward trend of American visitors to Canada continued in 2008, with 33,100 or 15 per cent fewer visitors from the United States. The number of visitors from other parts of Canada also decreased slightly by 27,700 or two per cent. There was a one percent increase or 900 more overseas visitors. Overall in 2008, the majority of visitors, 87 per cent, came from other parts of Canada, with nine per cent from the United States, and four per cent from overseas. About 67 per cent of visitors to Nova Scotia travelled by road, with the remaining 33 per cent arriving by air. Room nights sold across the province increased by one per cent overall, however results varied from region to region. Nova Scotia’s comprehensive system for reporting tourism statistics includes counting overnight visitors, excluding Nova Scotia residents, at all entry points to the province, and gathering the number of room nights sold from all licensed accommodation operators. Detailed tourism statistics and the 2009 Tourism Outlook can be found on the Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage website at www.gov.ns.ca/dtc/pubs/insights .last_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *