Talent Magnet: Getting Talented People by Mike Johnson

first_img Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. Related posts:No related photos. According to Mike Johnson, 85 per cent of workers could quite easily bedropped into another company without too many problems. It’s the other 15 percent that make the business what it is, and attracting, retaining anddeveloping that talent is the main focus of How To Become A Talent Magnet.In saying this, Johnson becomes fairly scathing of HR in places, suggestingit would be more effective to have sales and marketing people selling thecompany to future employees. It is obviously directed at managers with areasonable level of autonomy. However, anyone with an interest in motivation in the workplace would beable to glean something from this gem. Winning the talent wars is a fight wecan all take part in and this is full of practical, workable initiatives, notonly for hiring and holding the precious 15 per cent, but also for reducingcostly turnover and securing the commitment of the other staff. How to Become a Talent Magnet follows closely on from Winning ThePeople Wars, although it’s more of a rewrite than a sequel, acknowledgingthe impact of last year’s economic downturn while offering a refreshingperspective on the current business climate. Despite significant redundancies, Johnson denies there is a glut of skillsin the marketplace. It’s only bad news that makes a good headline, it appears,and everyone moving up the talent chain, depleting the pool available for theless attractive jobs, further exacerbates the scarcity of true talent. In the preface, Johnson says a business book shouldn’t be boring, and thisone isn’t. Amusing anecdotes as well as useful facts and interesting casestudies have been amassed and skilfully combined into an entertaining read. Theresult? An excellent guide to what keeps a worker happy, motivated and productivewith advice on recreating the ideal work environment. Buy this book at AmazonAlison Norris a personnel manager at Wealth Management Software. She iscurrently reading What Would Buddha Do At Work? 101 Answers to WorkplaceDilemmas by Franz Metcalf and BJ Gallagher Hateley. center_img Talent Magnet: Getting Talented People… By Mike Johnson Publisher: Pearson Pages: 272 Price: £19.99 ISBN 0-273-65488-8 Reviewed by Alison Norris Buy this book at Amazon Talent Magnet: Getting Talented People by Mike JohnsonOn 7 May 2003 in Personnel Todaylast_img

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *