Warrant issued for Elkhart man accused of child molestation

first_img Warrant issued for Elkhart man accused of child molestation Pinterest Google+ IndianaLocalNews (“Court Gavel – Judge’s Gavel – Courtroom” by wp paarz, CC BY-SA 2.0) A warrant has been issued for an Elkhart man who is accused of molesting a young boy.The victim, who is under the age of 13, said he was sexually assaulted last September at a baseball park in Elkhart.Gary Hill, 31, was charged with child molestation after the Indiana State Police Lab determined that his D-N-A appeared on samples taken from the victim, according to 95.3 MNC’s reporting partners at The Elkhart Truth.Hill’s bail is set at $150,000. Google+ WhatsApp Pinterest Facebook Facebook By Jon Zimney – March 19, 2021 0 368 WhatsApp Twitter Twitter Previous article100 pounds of marijuana, mushrooms and $40K in cash seized during drug bustNext articleMan recovering, man in custody after stabbing at Castle Point Apartments Jon ZimneyJon Zimney is the News and Programming Director for News/Talk 95.3 Michiana’s News Channel and host of the Fries With That podcast. Follow him on Twitter @jzimney.last_img read more

Adopted by his foster parents, a soldier ships out

first_imgAdopted by his foster parents, a soldier ships out Adopted by his foster parents, a soldier ships out Associate EditorLettered in blue frosting, the cake proclaimed: “Congratulations! It’s a boy! Luis Robert Torres, 5-foot 10, 180 pounds.”The new boy joining the family of Yvonne and Bobby Torres is their 18-year-old foster child, Luis Urbina, officially adopted in a Miami courtroom April 8—just days before he shipped out for Fort Bragg in North Carolina, destined for the battlefields of Iraq with the 82nd Airborne Division of the U.S. Army.After Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Maynard “Skip” Gross officially declared Luis their legal son, the Torres couple happily added to their family and turned their home into one big party.This is a refreshing story about a foster child with a happy ending, of a troubled teen who learns to become a responsible man thanks to a family’s unconditional love, and of a lawyer who set the wheels in motion to make sure the adoption happened on a tight deadline.“It’s like a gift from God,” said Yvonne Torres. “We’re proud of the man he’s turned into.”Says Bobby Torres with a laugh: “My first reaction was this is the wrong way. We’re supposed to ask you. You adopted us!”Yes, it was Luis’ idea to ask his foster parents if they would adopt him before shipping out, so he would have a real family to pray for him and pull for him, a mother who will bake him cookies, and send care packages halfway around the world. And just before he jumps out of a plane, as Luis says, he will think about Mom and Dad back home.Even some judges didn’t realize adults can be legally adopted, but Fran Allegra, general counsel for the CHARLEE Program homes for children in Coral Gables, seized the opportunity to do some quick pro bono work. She found a judge willing to move the Torres adoption high on the court’s calendar before Luis left for Fort Bragg in North Carolina on April 15.“Bobby and Yvonne gave him a gift to see what the future can be,” Allegra said. “They have always showed Luis unconditional love, and their door was always open. Luis learned that families can work and be functional and positive.”So there was Bobby Torres, taking the oath in court by raising a white cast that held his right arm, broken during an attack from another tough foster kid.And there was Luis standing at attention before Judge Gross, sporting a military buzz cut and dress green uniform, his “Urbina” name badge soon to become out of date.“It just felt right in my heart,” Luis explained. “They’ve always treated me like part of the family. I feel happy. I feel excited. But I don’t really feel different. They were always my parents.”But Luis was not always the disciplined, polite young man he is today.When he first came to the Torres family at 13, he was another troubled teen in their therapeutic foster home run by CHARLEE.To use Luis’ own words, “I was out of control, completely out of control.” He was a street-tough runaway, hanging out with gang members and drug dealers.Born in Nicaragua, he was three when he emigrated to the United States with his mother. Two years later, his mom died. His father, working two and three jobs, had little time to raise him, and occasionally beat him. The wrong crowd became his substitute family. When he ran away to Maryland, where relatives lived, he was soon returned to Miami and placed in foster care, where he ended up in the Torres’ group home.“He came to us when he was 13,” recalled Yvonne Torres. “I had taken him shopping at Wal-Mart, and he turned to me with tears in his eyes and said, ‘I have never been shopping with a mom.’”Bobby Torres admits: “He sort of reminded me of myself. I went through the same thing,” referring to his own childhood of being a foster child, sent to a Catholic boy’s group home at age 12, where he said he was so angry he didn’t talk to anyone for a whole year, schooled by the strict Jesuit Brothers in upstate New York.“I had a lot of anger. And I saw it in Luis. Just by watching him, I knew I had to be strict with him, the way the brothers had to be with me. He was angry, impatient, he was never wrong, he set his sights too high, like he wanted to be a professional basketball player,” Bobby Torres recalled.Of the total of 50 foster children in his care, Bobby Torres said, “I was the strictest with Luis. I was sitting down one day, just looking at him doing his homework. I said, ‘You got me. I love this kid.’”They loved him so much that when his natural father was dying of cancer, they agreed to let Luis go live with him.“His father chose not to tell him he was dying,” Yvonne said. “We respected his wishes. We let Luis go back so they could mend fences and get their relationship back together so his dad could die happy and Luis wouldn’t have to feel guilty that he wasn’t there.” When Luis “started to go a little crazy” at his father’s house, Yvonne and Bobby were on call with advice and kept the communication flowing. When his father died in April 2002, they welcomed Luis back to their home full-time.After the adoption, Yvonne said: “I felt that his dad was looking down on us and happy that we are officially Luis’ parents.”As Luis says of his new adoptive parents: “They taught me discipline, like getting up on time. Being punctual, picking up after myself. And they also taught me respect—respect my elders and respect anybody appointed above me.”In high school, Luis was in ROTC, and listened to the advice of Bobby, who had served in the 101st Airborne’s Screaming Eagles, that a career in the military would be a good chance to learn a lot, see the world, and retire early.“I feel a little anxious,” Luis said, less than a week before he reports to Fort Bragg as a private first class, knowing he is destined to replace soldiers killed or wounded in action in Iraq.“But I want to go. This is something I want to do; I really want to serve my country. I feel like it’s something I have to do.”Now the business of having a legal family is taken care of, thanks to Allegra.“Fran is on top, No. 1!” declared Bobby Torres, of the fast-action, red-tape snipping adoption accomplished within a week of the asking. “The mayor would have taken longer.”At the adoption celebration, Allegra gave Luis this framed letter from the folks at the CHARLEE Program:“To Luis Urbina, now Luis Robert Torres:“Perhaps the greatest compliment we can give you is that you have grown up to become a wonderful young man and a genuinely good person. On your journey to adulthood, you overcame many obstacles: fear, loss, grief, sorrow, anger, and doubt. You wisely turned those obstacles into opportunities to excel. And you have excelled and succeeded in the face of very tough circumstances.“We want you to know that Bobby and Yvonne are your parents, but the entire CHARLEE Program is your family. And just as CHARLEE will always be a part of you, you will always be a part of CHARLEE.“Your whole CHARLEE family is extremely proud of you. Keep fighting the good fight. And know that your CHARLEE family loves you very much.” April 30, 2003 Jan Pudlow Associate Editor Regular Newslast_img read more

Syracuse squanders halftime lead for 2nd straight game, falls to No. 2 Notre Dame

first_img Related Stories Syracuse heads to No. 2 Notre Dame with NCAA tournament seeding on mind For 20 minutes, Syracuse controlled the game. But a minute into the second half, Notre Dame finally took the lead.Quentin Hillsman called a timeout. It was what his team would do in the next several minutes that would determine the fate of the game, for better or worse.“They came out strong. We didn’t come out strong in the first couple minutes of the second half,” the Orange head coach said. “We just tried to sustain our momentum, but when it’s a three-point game, it’s pretty much a 0-0 basketball game.”The No. 2 Fighting Irish (26-1, 14-0 Big East) scored the first five points out of the timeout and 25 of the first 31 points in the second half to trigger the comeback that ultimately put No. 22 SU away 79-68. Syracuse (22-5, 10-4) led by as much as 15 in the first half, and trailed by as much as 16 in the second. The Orange cut the lead to six with less than six minutes remaining, but ultimately came up short.After a Brittney Sykes 3-pointer opened the scoring, center Kayla Alexander scored eight straight SU points. A steal by guard Rachel Coffey with 14:39 remaining in the first half led to a Carmen Tyson-Thomas layup and 13-3 advantage. The Irish needed a timeout.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textBut the Orange continued to build on its lead. Brianna Butler drained a 3, then Sykes scored a pair of buckets to stretch Syracuse’s lead to 13.“We just did a good job early of just following our game plan,” Hillsman said. “We wanted to get the ball inside, but obviously, we need to score some baskets to get into our pressure, and we did a good job of scoring the ball early.”Alexander knocked down another jumper out of a UND timeout to give the Orange its largest lead of 15, but then the Skylar Diggins show began. The guard scored 17 points in the final 12:16 of the first half.She started it off with a pair of 3s, but scored in a variety of ways. The senior knocked down a mid-range jumper with three minutes left in the half to cut SU’s lead to single digits. Another 3 cut the lead to five with 2:19 remaining, and a pair of free throws slashed it to three with about a minute and a half left.“We had a little stretch where we just threw the ball away, had a couple costly turnovers,” Hillsman said, “kind of got them back into the game in the first half.”Diggins vanished in the second half, scoring just three points and making one field goal, but it didn’t matter — Kayla McBride took over. She knocked down a jumper to kick off the second-half scoring and cut Syracuse’s lead to one before a Natalie Achonwa layup gave Notre Dame its first lead of the day.The guard scored 12 points in the second half as the Fighting Irish built a 16-point lead. Six straight points from Alexander and a 10-0 run pulled Syracuse within six with 5:52 remaining, but a scoreless stretch lasting nearly two and a half minutes doomed the Orange to its second consecutive loss.“Our kids fought,” Hillsman said. “They played really, really tough. I’m really proud of them.” Comments Facebook Twitter Google+center_img Published on February 27, 2013 at 12:26 am Contact David: [email protected] | @DBWilson2last_img read more

Turks protest religious influence

first_imgANKARA, Turkey – Tens of thousands of people filled the central streets of Turkey’s capital on Saturday to protest what they see as an increasingly Islamic tint to their government. A presidential election is approaching in Turkey, and the protesters were voicing their opposition to the head of the leading party in parliament, with its Islamist roots, taking the post. “We don’t want to become another Iran, another Afghanistan,” said Hanife Sahin, a retired nurse, stooping under the red tent formed by a Turkish flag that ran like a river over the crowd. News reports said crowds numbered as many as 300,000, an unexpectedly high turnout for a gathering that was initially expected to draw only harder-line nationalists. The numbers underlined the deepening divide within Turkish society over the role of Islam in Turkey, a country whose very charter scrubbed the government clean of religion. “Believe me, all of Turkey is here,” said a 27-year-old market researcher, as teenage boys draped in Turkish flags jostled her. But there are two Turkeys now. Turkish society is opening a lively, sometimes painful, debate on its past for the first time since 1923 when Mustafa Kemal stamped out public religion to create the Turkish state. That has divided society and focused attention on the contest over the presidency, which controls the military and is the country’s most important post safeguarding secularism. Officials from the ruling party, Justice and Development, known by its Turkish initials, AK, have kept their religious background away from the process of government over the five years since they were elected. Still, the guardians of Turkish secularism have grown increasingly vocal, before the election, in accusing the ruling party of bringing their religion into politics before the election. On Friday, the current president, Ahmet Necdet Sezer, gave his final speech before a military audience in Istanbul, warning that the country’s secular system faced its most serious danger since the founding of the state. The secular establishment Sezer represents has several times in Turkey’s short history ousted ruling parties it deemed too religious. That sentiment was splashed on banners and spoken through loudspeakers at the protest on Saturday. After five years in power, the party had made Turkish society more accommodating to Islamic piousness, many people said. A gaggle of high school girls ticked off the reasons they did not want the party and its leader, Tayyip Erdogan, to take the presidency. More women are wearing head scarves, said Ecem Karanfil, a 17-year-old in a T-shirt and jeans. “We want to feel comfortable dressing the way we want,” she said. Her friend said she sensed something suspicious in the attractive new design of religion textbooks being given out in their high school. “I am wondering why,” she said, as a pretzel seller squeezed by, his wares stacked in a pyramid on his head. 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Only A Superteam Could Stop LeBron

FiveThirtyEight More: Apple Podcasts | ESPN App | RSS On the latest episode (June 13, 2017) of Hot Takedown, FiveThirtyEight’s sports podcast, we first talk about the right way for teams to approach the MLB draft. Then FiveThirtyEight’s Kyle Wagner stops by to talk about the Golden State Warriors’ 129-120 Game 5 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers. Are these Warriors the greatest team of all time, and what makes them so good? We deliberate. Plus, a significant digit on Rafael Nadal.Here are links to stories we discussed this week:FiveThirtyEight’s Neil Paine argues that Moneyball’s draft advice has outlived its usefulness.Neil also writes that although the Warriors are still in the GOAT debate, they blew their chance to end it.Check out Kyle Wagner’s piece on how the Warriors duped the NBA.Kyle and Chris Herring write that the Warriors belong to Kevin Durant now.Sports Illustrated’s Deantae Prince does a category-by-category examination of the Warriors vs. the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls.Significant Digit: 10, the number of French Open titles Rafael Nadal has won. Nadal beat Stan Wawrinka to win his first Grand Slam in three years. read more

Apple to fix FaceTime bug that allows eavesdropping

first_imgApple to fix FaceTime bug that allows eavesdropping (AP) – Apple has made the group chat function in FaceTime unavailable after users said there was a bug that could allow callers to activate another user’s microphone remotely.The bug was demonstrated through videos online and reported on this week by tech blogs. Reports say the bug in the video chat app could allow an iPhone user calling another iPhone through Group Facetime to hear the audio from the other handset – even if the receiver did not accept the call.“We’re aware of this issue and we have identified a fix that will be released in a software update later this week,” Apple said in a statement Tuesday.Its online support page noted there was a technical issue with the application and that Group Facetime “is temporarily unavailable.”The governor of New York, Andrew Cuomo, released a statement warning people about the bug and urging people to disable the app until Apple fixes the issue.Apple is due to report its latest quarterly earnings later Tuesday amid intense investor interest in the company’s financial health. Earlier this month, Apple said that demand for iPhones was waning and that its earnings for the final quarter of 2018 would be below expectations – a rare downgrade from the company. AP, January 29, 2019 Posted: January 29, 2019 AP Categories: Local San Diego News, National & International News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more

Two of three victims of deadly Encinitas cliff collapse identified

first_img August 3, 2019 Posted: August 3, 2019 KUSI Newsroom ENCINITAS (KUSI) – Two of the three victims in Friday’s deadly cliff collapse in the Leucadia neighborhood of Encinitas were identified today as a mother and daughter.The women were identified as Julie Davis, 65, and Anne Clave, 35, according to the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office. The identity of the third victim, who died at the scene, has not been released pending notification of relatives.Clave, from Encinitas, died at Scripps Memorial Hospital La Jolla on Friday. Davis died at Scripps Memorial Hospital Encinitas, also on Friday.The bluff failure happened shortly before 3 p.m. Friday just north of a lifeguard station, Encinitas fire and lifeguard officials said at a news conference Saturday morning.Officials reopened Grandview Surf Beach before noon Saturday with signs posted to the north and south of the cliff collapse asking the public to keep out of the “active area,” Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles said.City officials recommended that “given the apparent natural bluff instability, beachgoers should avoid areas near or under the bluffs and keep a recommended safe distance of 25 to 40 feet.”Four search dogs went through the site of the collapse late Friday and officials determined that no more people had been found, Encinitas Fire Deputy Chief Robert Ford said.Two people walked away uninjured after the collapse, Giles said.A lifeguard was in the tower next to the site of the cliff collapse and immediately began to rescue victims. Some good Samaritans helped the lifeguard in the rescue effort, Giles said. The lifeguard tower has since been moved away from the part of the cliff that collapsed.Experts in geology will continue assessing the coastline for any potential collapse threats. Geotech soil engineers said Friday’s failure was an isolated incident, Giles said, and unrelated to the recent earthquakes in Southern California. The failure isn’t affecting structures at the top of the cliffs, he said.“Our coastline is a beautiful area, but the coastline is eroding,” Giles said. Two of three victims of deadly Encinitas cliff collapse identified KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more