LA County Launches Small Business Loan Program

first_imgCommunity News LA County Launches Small Business Loan Program Money available to help prevent job losses and business closures CITY NEWS SERVICE Published on Thursday, January 28, 2021 | 4:12 pm Top of the News faithfernandez More » ShareTweetShare on Google+Pin on PinterestSend with WhatsApp,Donald CommunityPCC- COMMUNITYVirtual Schools PasadenaHomes Solve Community/Gov/Pub SafetyPasadena Public WorksPASADENA EVENTS & ACTIVITIES CALENDARClick here for Movie Showtimes CITY NEWS SERVICE/STAFF REPORT Pasadena Will Allow Vaccinated People to Go Without Masks in Most Settings Starting on Tuesday Business News Make a comment Herbeauty10 Of The Most Notorious Female Spies In HistoryHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyYou Can’t Go Past Our Healthy Quick RecipesHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty5 Things To Avoid If You Want To Have Whiter TeethHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyWhat’s Your Zodiac Flower Sign?HerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeauty10 Reasons Why Ultimatums Are Unhealthy For RelationshipsHerbeautyHerbeautyHerbeautyA 74 Year Old Fitness Enthusiast Defies All Concept Of AgeHerbeautyHerbeauty STAFF REPORT Pasadena’s ‘626 Day’ Aims to Celebrate City, Boost Local Economy More Cool Stuff Community News EVENTS & ENTERTAINMENT | FOOD & DRINK | THE ARTS | REAL ESTATE | HOME & GARDEN | WELLNESS | SOCIAL SCENE | GETAWAYS | PARENTS & KIDScenter_img Community News Subscribe The Los Angeles County Development Authority launched a small business loan program today to help prevent job losses and business closures amid the COVID-19 pandemic.Pasadena businesses are eligible for the loans, according toElisa Vasquez, the development authority’s director of communications and public affairs.The Small Business Stabilization Loan Program is funded with $10 million from the U.S. Economic Development Administration through a federal COVID-19 relief act.Loans ranging from $50,000 to $3 million will be given to eligible businesses that have been in operation for at least two years, are seeking working capital, equipment purchases, real estate acquisition, or refinancing of existing loans at higher interest rates.“The recent surge in COVID-19 cases is once again harming the vitality of small businesses in the county of Los Angeles,” Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors Chair Hilda L. Solis said in previewing the program last week.“The launch of LACDA’s Small Business Stabilization Loan Program will help guide our local small businesses to recovery and set them on the path to long-term prosperity. Our economic healing depends on the wellbeing of this sector and their employees. I urge our small business community to take advantage of this new program,” Solis said.Business owners who want to apply for a loan must attend a webinar to learn more about the application requirements. Once the webinar is completed, LACDA will connect the applicant with a technical assistance provider who will assist with the application. Technical assistance is available in various languages, including English, Spanish, Chinese (Mandarin) and Korean.Details are available at BizStabilization.LACDA.org and applications will be accepted indefinitely.“Earlier this month, the LACDA launched the BizHelp webinar series to help business owners navigate these difficult economic times, and today we offer yet another lifeline in the form of financial support — the Small Business Stabilization Loan Program,” LACDA Executive Director Emilio Salas said. “We will continue prioritizing the needs of Los Angeles County businesses and doing what we can to keep their doors open.” STAFF REPORT First Heatwave Expected Next Week 20 recommended0 commentsShareShareTweetSharePin it Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Name (required)  Mail (required) (not be published)  Website  Get our daily Pasadena newspaper in your email box. Free.Get all the latest Pasadena news, more than 10 fresh stories daily, 7 days a week at 7 a.m. Home of the Week: Unique Pasadena Home Located on Madeline Drive, Pasadenalast_img read more

Women of Troy fall short in season finale

first_imgA dark, chilly night foreshadowed the USC women’s soccer team’s fate Friday.In front of a crowd of 3,826 at Drake Field, the Women of Troy (7-13, 4-7) dropped their Pac-12 finale 5-2 at the hands of No. 2 UCLA.Swan song · In her final game donning the cardinal and gold, senior Brittany Kerridge notched her ninth assist of the season against UCLA. – Luciano Nunez | Daily TrojanThe Bruins (15-1-3, 8-1-2) started fast, putting USC on its heels with a multitude of shots on freshman goalkeeper Carley Pennington. UCLA took advantage of mistakes and found space to run, controlling possession, and the Bruins finally broke through in the 21st minute with a goal from forward Sydney Leroux. UCLA followed this up with two more goals — by midfielder Samantha Mewis and defender Ally Courtnall — in the next 12 minutes to put the difference at 3-0 after just 33 minutes.“We kept giving the ball away in dangerous parts of the field,” USC coach Ali Khosroshashin said. “You can’t do that against an amazing team like this.”Despite trailing, USC refused to give in. A goal from junior forward Samantha Johnson in the opening minute of the second half cut the deficit to 3-1. But the momentum was short-lived as Leroux and Mewis each scored their second goals of the contest to put the game out of reach. In the latter minutes of the game, senior midfielder Brittany Kerridge lofted a ball off a corner kick to the far post where junior defender Kristina Noriega drilled a shot into the net to make the final score 5-2. It was Kerridge’s ninth assist on the season and the 15th of her career, which puts her at No. 8 on USC’s all-time list.“It would have been easy for these girls to give up in the second half with the score being what it was,” Khosroshahin said. “But these girls battled and showed a lot of pride in representing their university. It’s been a tough season and we’ve been very thin with injuries, but I’m very proud of these girls.”The match marked the last game for five USC seniors: Kerridge, midfielders Ashli Sandoval and Carly Buther, defender Claire Schloemer and forward/defender Ashley Freyer.Coming off a second-round loss in the NCAA tournament last year at the hands of eventual champion Notre Dame, the Women of Troy started the season at No. 25 in the nation. Losses in 11 of their first 14 games and injuries, however, were too much to overcome.After the match, Khosroshahin emphasized learning from this season to improve for next year, noting the first priority for the offseason was recovering from the trying season, getting healthy and incorporating the incoming talent to come back next year as strong as possible.Johnson echoed similar sentiments, as she will be one of nine returning seniors on the roster.“We need to build up from the bottom and be as strong as possible,” she said. “We’ll be back stronger next season.”last_img read more

Rebels, Leafs look to gain upper hand during home-and-home series

first_imgThe Kootenay International Junior Hockey League playoffs don’t start for another few weeks but this weekend the Nelson Leafs and Castlegar Rebels will definitely try to build some momentum when the two clubs meet in a home-and-home series beginning Friday in the Sunflower City.The teams, scheduled to meet in the first round of the Murdoch Division playoffs, have split the regular season series right down the middle with each team winning three times, including a road victory.Nelson will be without netminder Andrew Walton who is unavailable due to personal commitments.That leaves backup Patrick Defoe to take charge between the pipes. Defoe played very well during a 4-1 loss in Castlegar the last time the teams met.The Rebels are led offensively by center Stuart Walton, who tops Castlegar in scoring 76 points in 49 games.Walton is currently riding a three-game point streak after having six-game streak stopped by the Leafs January 27 in Nelson. Another offensive threat is Anthony Delong, second in scoring with 73 points.Defensively, captain Erik Alden will keep the Leaf forwards honest with his bone-crunching hits.For the Leafs Brett Norman passed Nick Newman for the Nelson scoring lead. The Dawson Creek native, accumulating seven points in the last three games, leads the Leafs with 61 points, two in front of Newman.Patrick Martens, coming off a four-goal game against Spokane, is another sniper the Rebels had better pay attention to for the Leafs.On the blueline, look for Nelson captain Tyler Parfeniuk to carry the load for Nelson.Game time Friday in Castlegar is 7:30 p.m. at the Complex.Saturday, puck drop at the NDCC Arena is 7 p.m.Nelson concludes the weekend Sunday with an afternoon date against the Golden Rockets at 2 [email protected]last_img read more

Premier League Preview Show – including Man City v Liverpool

first_imgTom Rennie is joined by the former Arsenal winger and Premier League tactics expert Adrian Clarke to look ahead to the big games of the weekend.Topics include: Raheem Sterling facing Liverpool for the first time since his acrimonious departure from the club as Jurgen Klopp’s Reds travel to Manchester City on Saturday.How will West Ham United cope in the absence of Dimitri Payet? The Hammers take on Tottenham on Sunday as 5th takes on 6th.How lucky were Arsenal to beat Tottenham last time out?!Also on the show, the former Crystal Palace defender Matt Lawrence says the Eagles will beat Sunderland on Monday Night Football & ‘Paparazzi’ Olisa Chukwumah from Nigeria Info (one of talkSPORT’s Global Audio Partners) plays the predictor game ‘Tom against the World’.last_img

QPR linked with move for out-of-favour Tottenham man

first_imgQPR manager Mark Hughes is considering signing David Bentley on loan from Tottenham next season, according to The People.Bentley, who has been out of favour at Spurs for some time, played under Hughes at Blackburn.The England international currently has a knee injury but has been tipped to be fit for the start of next term.The People also suggest that Chelsea are interested in signing Uruguay international Álvaro Pereira from Porto.Pereira, 26, is a left-sided player who can operate at full-back or further forward.It is claimed that Porto rate him at £23m and that Chelsea may offer £13m plus one of their young players.Click here for the QPR v Stoke quizFollow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img

Chelsea man ‘considering offers from Brazil’

first_imgChelsea’s Florent Malouda is considering an offer from Brazilian club Botafogo, the Daily Mirror report.The 32-year-old Frenchman, who has a Brazilian wife, is said to be weighing up several offers, with his first-team chances at Stamford Bridge looking likely to be limited.It is claimed that he is also wanted by another Brazilian club, Vasco Da Gama, where his ex-Lyon team-mate Juninho Pernambucano plays.The Daily Mail say QPR are poised to loan out Joey Barton, with Blackburn Rovers leading the chase.It is suggested that R’s boss Mark Hughes sees a loan to the Championship – where there is a greater volume of league games over the early part of the season – as an ideal way to run down Barton’s 12-match ban quickly.Nottingham Forest are also said to be interested in the controversial midfielder.Meanwhile, The Sun say Craig Bellamy is set to snub Cardiff and sign for QPR from Liverpool, whereas The Independent believe he will choose to join the Bluebirds. The 33-year-old striker, who played under Hughes for Blackburn and Wales, has been tipped to leave Anfield this summer.This page is regularly updated.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebooklast_img read more

Messi staying with Barcelona to 2021 after new contract

first_imgFC Barcelona’s Lionel Messi takes part in a training session at the Sports Center FC Barcelona Joan Gamper in Sant Joan Despi. APBARCELONA, Spain — Barcelona enjoyed a big win on Saturday (Sunday Manila time) without even playing.Lionel Messi finally put Barcelona and its fans at ease by signing a new contract that will keep the Argentine forward at the Spanish club through 2021 when he will be 34.ADVERTISEMENT Kris Aquino ‘pretty chill about becoming irrelevant’ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH Club president Josep Bartomeu said Barcelona and Messi already agreed to a new deal in June, but that following Neymar’s departure they revised it to more than double the buyout clause. It was originally set at 300 million euros ($358 million).Bartomeu said the new contract “is more in line with the current situation in the ever-changing world of football.”Barcelona announced in July that Messi agreed to a new deal that it would make official “in the coming weeks.” The wait that turned into months eventually caused many Barcelona supporters to fear the worst.Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde said having Messi signed up for four more years should help the team focus on its strong Spanish league and Champions League campaigns this season. Barcelona visits second-place Valencia on Sunday seeking a win that would give it a commanding lead as it tries to retake the Liga title from Real Madrid.“I am not an expert in contract clauses, but if we look at what happened with Neymar, then you have the answer,” Valverde said. “The renewal of Leo is great news for the club. It calms everything down, especially all that surround the team. We already were calm because we see him train every day and we see his commitment to the club.”ADVERTISEMENT Messi has been the heart and soul of Barcelona for more than a decade.A five-time world player of the year, Messi has helped Barcelona win 30 titles since he arrived from Argentina at age 13. That haul includes four Champions Leagues and eight Spanish leagues.Now in his 14th season, Messi is the club’s all-time leading scorer with 523 in 602 matches.He received his fourth Golden Shoe award on Friday for leading all of Europe’s leagues in scoring last season.“The objective is to continue achieving things, fill the club’s trophy cases, and keep making history at Barca,” Messi said. “We’ve been lucky enough to have won a great many things and I hope there will be more in the future.” Trending Articles PLAY LIST 00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles01:28Ex-President Noynoy Aquino admits contracting pneumonia01:29Police teams find crossbows, bows in HK university01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City Japan ex-PM Nakasone who boosted ties with US dies at 101 LATEST STORIES “The club … is my home,” Messi said. “My dream was to finish my career at Barca and we are moving down that path.”The club did not reveal many financial details, including Messi’s salary. According to El Mundo newspaper, Messi will receive 30 million euros ($35.8 million) per season along with a signing bonus of 50 million euros ($59.6 million).FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutWith his former contract set to run out next summer, Messi would have been free to listen to offers from other teams on Jan. 1. That approaching deadline generated speculation Messi could follow Neymar’s lead and leave.Messi’s new deal includes a buyout clause of 700 million euros ($835 million). The massive figure is aimed at keeping away even the likes of Paris Saint-Germain, which secured Neymar in the offseason by triggering his buyout clause with a record 222 million euros ($262 million) payout. View comments Read Next MOST READ Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC CPP denies ‘Ka Diego’ arrest caused ‘mass panic’ among S. Tagalog NPA Stronger peso trims PH debt value to P7.9 trillion Kammuri turning to super typhoon less likely but possible — Pagasa Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. QC cops nab robbery gang leader, cohort United, Chelsea rely on strokes of fortune in EPLlast_img read more

Tom Herman Gets Involved In Ohio State vs. Michigan Spat, Trashes Jedd Fisch

first_imgTom Herman Haters Gonna Hate photo.Tom Herman Haters Gonna HateTom Herman may now the head coach at Houston, but he certainly hasn’t forgotten his roots with the Ohio State Buckeyes. Friday night, Herman, who coached at OSU under Urban Meyer from 2012 to 2014, came to the defense of his former colleague Zach Smith, who was portrayed negatively in a recent Michigan recruiting pamphlet. He wasn’t messing around either.In the pamphlet, which you can check out here, Michigan lists a number of statistics meant to prove that its assistant coach, Jedd Fisch, is a better alternative to Smith when it comes to player development. Smith responded on Twitter with a number of tweets, trashing the Wolverines program. Herman chimed in with some tweets trashing Fisch. Check this out:Gloves are off. I’d be proud to have @CoachZachSmith coach TD or Maverick. How many Gold Pants does that guy have? https://t.co/5cnV2mLV9H— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, [email protected] #TheChampIsHere pic.twitter.com/YbIRjQHfKN— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, [email protected] pic.twitter.com/hlrLQyGHOl— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, [email protected], 5 yrs full-time=52-14. TTUN guy, 6 yrs=41-60. I want my son to play 4 a winner & Nat. Champ #Facts pic.twitter.com/o8n2YrJamA— Tom Herman (@CoachTomHerman) June 7, 2015If you’re wondering, Fisch’s 41-60 record is a combination of the years he’s put in with the Denver Broncos, Minnesota Golden Gophers, Seattle Seahawks, Miami Hurricanes and Jacksonville Jaguars. It’s an odd stat.Forget Ohio State vs. Michigan. Can we get a Houston vs. Michigan game sometime soon?last_img read more